Flatiron Linkup to Green Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Flatiron Linkup to Green Mountain

Post by Brian C »

I thought some folks may find this fun. Here is a linkup that Derek and I did recently to make a fun "mountaineering" ascent of Green Mtn. while chaining up these Flatirons...

Hillbilly Flatironette via South Ridge (Class 4)
Hillbilly Rock via Northeast Face (5.2)
The Hobo via East Face (Class 4)
Heaven via Upper East Face aka "Downclimb" (5.3)
Anomaly via East Face (5.2S)
Amoeboid via "Buckets" (5.0)
The Hourglass via East Face (5.2)
The Fist aka Hippo's Head via South Ridge (5.6)
East Green Mountain via South Ridge
Green Mountain via Upper Greenman's Trail
Table Mountain via The Easy Way

Here is the link to a brief writeup...
http://www.brianinthewild.com/green-mou ... -fist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Flatiron Linkup to Green Mountain

Post by rickinco123 »

That is a very cool linkup. Quite a hike back, did you feel that was the easiest way back or were you trying to tack on miles.

What was the breakdown for free solo, simul, belayed climging? How long did it take.

Nice work.

Quite an impressive poison ivy patch on the South slopes of Skunk Canyon this year! Glad I'm not allergic to the stuff.
Brian C
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

We were just trying to link as many formations as possible to the top of Green in a relatively natural line. No weird wandering or going way out of the way to climb something. Assuredly not trying to add miles! I just chose poorly. Haha.

I think it took us about 7 hours car to car. I put all of the breakdown of what was soloed/simuled/belayed in the notes on the page I linked above as well as how we got down from each formation. We only belayed 2 pitches all day and both were on the Fist. Here is a brief summary...

Hillbilly Flatironette - Solo (easy)

Hillbilly Rock - Simul

The Hobo - Solo

Heaven - Solo

Anomaly - Simul (no gear, so basically a solo)

Amoeboid - Solo

The Hourglass - Simul (a bit scary due to bad rock)

The Fist - Belayed P1 (could have simuled but not sure the difficulty from the ground) and crux, simuled the middle

No kidding about the poison ivy! It's everywhere this year!
Last edited by Brian C on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Perhaps the coolest post I have ever seen on this site. When's the Bear Peak/South Boulder version comin out :lol:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

Nice work! Of course you'll have to tackle this next: http://home.comcast.net/~gibell/trip_re ... athon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW is that a GPS track or hand-drawn? Just wondering it doesn't look like the regular Green-Bear trail.
Brian C
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:When's the Bear Peak/South Boulder version comin out :lol:
I've thought about it but am definitely less familiar with that area. I'd guess some smaller formations to the Keel and the Devils Wings would put you pretty close to Bear Peak. One of these days I'll go check it out.
martinleroux wrote:Nice work! Of course you'll have to tackle this next: http://home.comcast.net/~gibell/trip_re ... athon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW is that a GPS track or hand-drawn? Just wondering it doesn't look like the regular Green-Bear trail.
I'd really like to do that but will have to start getting more exercise so I wouldn't die half way. Haha.

The topo is hand drawn and I'm sure not entirely accurate.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

What's the next big link up? Whenever it happens, I'm down.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Nice work, my man!