Almagre Mountain Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Almagre Mountain Conditions

Post by jsdratm »

Does anyone know how much snow is on Almagre Mountain (the 12er by Pikes Peak)? I was thinking of hiking it on Sunday, but live in Boulder so I have no idea how much snow there is.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Almagre Mountain Conditions

Post by climbnowworklater »

Hey there, I live in the springs and I took this picture 5-20-14 at 9:35am. I think this picture has Almagre in it. I am shooting west towards the "section 16" hike, old high road, and the Tenney Crags peak (but not sure if that is Sentinel or Specimen?). If this is not Almagre, then I apologize. Hope this helps.
Attachments
Excuse the utility pole but didn't have time to walk around for another angle.
Excuse the utility pole but didn't have time to walk around for another angle.
almagremay (640x480).jpg (253.44 KiB) Viewed 249 times
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
jsdratm
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Thanks for the picture! It looks like Almagre, since it is just west-southwest of Tenney Crags :) Snow looks manageable and should be much thinner by the end of the week.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Here's a wider shot taken just now from my house. A few things to keep in mind:
Old Stage Road is still closed due to flood damage, so if you're planning to start on FS 376 or FS 379, you'll have to come down Gold Camp Road from the west side. Likewise, Bear Creek trail and Jones Park are still closed (and will probably stay that way permanently), so approaching from that direction is also problematic.
almagre 001.JPG
almagre 001.JPG (86.48 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jsdratm
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Thanks, that pic is even better! I was planning to drive to the west side to access 376, but it is good to know about the closures. Maybe that will mean less people up there this weekend. If anyone on this website wants to join me, let me know. So far it looks like 30% chance of precipitation, hopefully the weather will hold out. :)