Late May Suggestions-First Time Hikers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vagabond90
Trip Reports (0)

Late May Suggestions-First Time Hikers

Post by vagabond90 »

Hi all-

A few questions. Myself and 3 friends are enjoying a long weekend May 29th-June 1st in Denver and Boulder. Doing some local beer drinking, white water rafting, and hiking. We want to go hiking on May 31st when we'll be in the Boulder area, and are looking to go on a hike that has awesome views (RMNP). I've looked around this site and done some research online, and we're thinking of Lily Mountain or Twin Sisters. We're all 23 and in fairly decent shape (run weekly and/or work out) and have so far managed to avoid the inevitable post-grad weight gain. But we live in Texas, so we have no altitude here. We'll be in the state for about 48 hours so we'll have acclimated in that sense, but I know hiking up in the mountains is much different.

Between Lily and Twin Sisters, knowing that info above, are one or both of those hikes doable? Based on what I've read, Lily is definitely the "easier" and shorter of the two. We definitely want to challenge ourselves, but we also don't want to be over-confident and take on something that is above our limited ability. Any suggestions or tips on these two mountains (or others, if you think another hike would be better) would be greatly appreciated.

Another topic I wanted to ask about was weather. Obviously we are over 5 weeks out from when we'll be there, and we'll be monitoring the weather as best we can. But any insider knowledge on weather up in the mountains around that time of year? How much snow/ice/slush, if any, should we expect? Is it even possible to venture a guess at this point in time? If spring in Colorado is anything like it is here in Texas, it can be quite unpredictable. And I know that the weather can be completely different in the mountains than it is in Boulder, an hour away. So go easy on me if it was a silly question... :oops:

Any friendly (or un-friendly, if you feel that way) advice or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks, and can't wait to visit! Never been to Colorado outside of winter, so I cannot wait.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Late May Suggestions-First Time Hikers

Post by huffy13 »

Just remember that not only could weather be a factor, but also trailhead accessibility and thick snow on trails should be something to consider when picking a good hike...there could still copious amounts of snow, especially below treeline, on hikes in the northern parts of the state. I am keeping a close eye on the weather also.... Planning on a couple hikes during the first week of June (Mt. Silverheels and Horseshoe Mountain and neighbors) and it looks like the immediate Breck area will still have quite a bit of snow unless things change pretty drastically over the next few weeks, that's why we are heading a bit south of there. Being from Texas myself I can definitely relate to the bi-polar Texas weather this time of the year.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Both of these hikes are good for beginners. My wife did Lily Mt. with me after moving from near sea level and struggled a little, but made it and she wasn't in great hiking shape. As mentioned there might be snow still on the route, but would probably be packed down pretty well as these are popular trails. You might want to look into getting some microspikes in case the snow is icy.
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Either would be doable for you; Lily probably would not be much of a challenge. I took my two nieces (from Chicago, mid-40s, not in great shape) up Lily last year, & both made it, albeit with a little difficultly. I'd recommend doing Twin Sisters if you want a bit of a challenge. As mentioned, Twin Sisters could have some snow; you might want to check that closer to the date. If you need a fall-back option, something like Green Mtn or Bear (&/or S. Boulder) Pk in Boulder will be free of snow and doable, & both have good views, though they aren't in RMNP. Bear/South Bldr is the longer option.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
vagabond90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vagabond90 »

Thanks for the tips folks, much appreciated.
Valesia
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Valesia »

Twin sisters looks like it could be done with micro's however the road to the trailhead is snowed in so add a bit to the hike. Lilly looks was clear for the most part last week. Enjoy the semi winter hike!
Life does not come with cairns to guide you, you must follow your dreams.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

You sound fine for those hikes.
You might also consider a hike to the Chasm Lake trailhead fork on the Longs trail (near the other hikes you mention). Nice views once you get out of the trees. There still could be snow in the trees a month from now - check this website for trail news. But likely packed down because people do the the forest hike all the time. The rest of the trail down into Chasm Lake stays icy well into spring due to the shade. Longs past the boulder field will require ice equipment, so it is not recommended.

As for weather, prepare for 20s to 80s. Its not unheard of to have these extremes on a single 14er/above-treeline hike on the same day in May. That means a hat, light gloves, jacket, long pants as well as shorts and single shirt.

Also the thunderstorms have already begun this year. Early hiking is better.
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

Definitely agree with the suggestion to bring microspikes. At that time of year, they could make the difference between a great hike and an early turn-back.

Lake Hiyaha might also make a good destination. It is a fairly easy hike, uncrowded, and beautiful in the snow (though the snow may be gone by then).

BTW, I find it easiest to lash my spikes to my daypack when I'm not using them--do other folks do the same thing?
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Bill Cummings wrote:BTW, I find it easiest to lash my spikes to my daypack when I'm not using them--do other folks do the same thing?
I had a partner lose half of their microspikes this way. Be sure to have a very good tie-down system, and watch for snagging them on trees/bushes.

Another consideration, microspikes strapped to the back of a pack may be jingling in your partner's face, which can diminish enjoyment of the awesome sounds of the outdoors for them.

The mud and water on microspikes can make a mess in a pack so I drop them a small nylon stuff sack. I keep a small multi-tool (pliers) and a bit of balin wire on the sack's draw string for emergency microspike repairs.
vagabond90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vagabond90 »

Think we're going to hike Bear Peak just west of of Boulder and maybe hit South Boulder mountain too. Should be a pretty enjoyable hike...Weather forecast says a high of 81 in Boulder on Saturday. If that holds true, should we expect relatively similar temps on the hike?
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

It will be a little cooler (and possibly breezier) on top, but the lower part will be about the same. Especially if you go from the S. Mesa Trail TH & use Shadow Canyon, the hike out will be rather warm; bring enough water.
In case you're still interested in Twin Sisters, there's still considerable snow up on top (or at least there was last weekend), but microspikes are not absolutely necessary, since it's (mostly) not so steep. When you get to the mudslide, you're best off not crossing it; just head uphill & pick up the trail again up above (you'll have to do that twice).
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
vagabond90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vagabond90 »

JimR wrote:It will be a little cooler (and possibly breezier) on top, but the lower part will be about the same. Especially if you go from the S. Mesa Trail TH & use Shadow Canyon, the hike out will be rather warm; bring enough water.
In case you're still interested in Twin Sisters, there's still considerable snow up on top (or at least there was last weekend), but microspikes are not absolutely necessary, since it's (mostly) not so steep. When you get to the mudslide, you're best off not crossing it; just head uphill & pick up the trail again up above (you'll have to do that twice).
Thanks for the advice and head's up.

If we do Bear Peak, we're thinking of starting at NCAR and probably take Bear Canyon to Bear Peak West Ridge. Think it's about 4ish miles to the peak doing that way, and then maybe come down Fern Canyon. Make a bit of a loop. I see your location is in Boulder, and so if you're familiar with Bear Peak, you think that'll be a solid hike?