RMNP/IPW West side snow climbs/scrambles?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

RMNP/IPW West side snow climbs/scrambles?

Post by GregMiller »

I'll be up in Winter Park next weekend, and will probably be skiing Saturday, but was wondering if anyone knew of any good snow season climbs/scrambles into Rocky Mountain National Park or the Indian Peaks Wilderness from that side. Wouldn't mind looking into the Never Summer Wilderness either.
Thanks!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: RMNP/IPW West side snow climbs/scrambles?

Post by Dave B »

I haven't been on the west side much in winter/spring, but I'm willing to bet access will be the issue du jour for RMNP/IPW scrambles/climbs (at least the good ones near Lone Eagle/Roaring Fork). Even accessing the Never Summers from that direction will be a major undertaking for the day (easier access from Cameron Pass though).

You could check out Byers Peak above Fraser, it's a purty face but still a pretty solid day (12+ miles RT).

I think you could get a ways up towards Rollins Pass from the west which would allow access to a couple 12ers, but I've never been up there and can't offer anything more than speculation.
Make wilderness less accessible.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

There is always access from Berthoud Pass. I don't know what kind of snow climbs are in 1st and 2nd Creeks up near the pass? Is that even a safe thing to do with skiers, huge cornice on the CD, etc?
Ragin Cajun
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Boudreaux - Good thought, don't know that I need folks actively trying to drop an avy on my head, though :-D I'll definitely look into it, might be some good hiking/snowshoeing if nothing else.

Dave - Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Thanks both, anyone else have any suggestions?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes