Buena Vista Winter hikes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Buena Vista Winter hikes

Post by vibeee »

Hello, I am going to Buena Vista on Saturday 3/22. We have 3 days for hiking and exploring. We are all very fit and don't mind the challenge.

I have winter mountaineering experience but would prefer not so use it so to speak. We would like a longer challenging hike, maybe a summit or up to 11000 on one of the 14ers. We would like a fun, good challenge with good views. We don't want to take any equipment.

Any suggestions? I understand that if it snows between now and Sunday the recommended trail may not be an option.

Thank you very much!

I'm new to Rockies and don't know much about so it is hard to research it for me.
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Buena Vista Winter hikes

Post by vibeee »

We were not planning on having them unless we have to. I don't know if we can rent them on Buena Vista.

Are you familiar with Ptarmigan Lake Trail? Would we have to have snow shoes there? It is one of the trails I was looking at, weather permitting of course.
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vibeee »

Thank you, Dex. I appreciate the info.

Sooo if we have snowshoes, where do we go? Any suggestions? We can drive up to an hour form BV to trail head. Our car is not 4WD.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

You will need snowshoes. The Ptarmigan lake TH cannot be reached by vehicle until sometime in May. You can park at the Denny Creek TH and walk up the road, which will be hardened by snowmobiles, to the TH. From the Denny Creek TH, you can follow the Mt Yale Trail as far as you wish or turn off and go to Hartenstein lake where you will definitely need snowshoes and this trail is usually unbroken and hard to find if you are not familiar with it. We like to hike to the top of Sleeping Indian on the east side of town during the winter but this is only a 3 hour hike. Your first stop in town should be the Trailhead where you can get advice, updated conditions and equipment.

Dave
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

Along with the previous suggestions I'll add:
- Colorado trail from Avalanche Gulch TH to the Silver Creek pass. It is just over 3 miles one way. And there are further climbing options from that point. You will most likely need snow shoes for this.
- Drive to the South Elbert TH and climb up to treeline or as high as you want. Great views the whole way. As of yesterday (3/17) you won't need snowshoes.
- Drive up to the Lake Creek TH near Independence Pass. This is the TH for La Plata. You start out on a road and if you pass the La Plata trail turn off you keep going it really opens up with some nice views of La Plata. Snowshoes most likely require here, as well.

The Trailhead does rent snowshoes and would be a great source for other ideas.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

Just though of another one.
Waterdog Lakes, just below Monarch Pass. Snowshoes required. Climb to the upper lake for some really beautiful views.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vibeee »

Thank you all for great suggestions. I just reserved the snowshoes for a couple of days at the Trailhead rental place in BV.

I hope the weather will be great when we get there.

Thank you again!

Bibianna