Any suggested dayhikes that meets these criteria?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Any suggested dayhikes that meets these criteria?

Post by rdp32 »

Hello all, I am looking for a trip suggestion for this Friday (3/14). My apologies if there is a better place on this site to post this.

I have done a fair amount of summer hiking in the past, but no real winter hiking. Also, I will be hiking solo, so I don't want to do anything dangerous. I have microspikes, leather hiking boots (not winter boots), and most of the basic clothing needed other than balaclava/goggles/face mask. For these reasons, I am not planning on climbing a 14er or spending all day above treeline or anything of the sort.

I recently hiked Mt. Morrison (from the South) on a nice-weather day and it was a fun little mountain (~2000 ft. elevation gain, but only a few miles RT... don't get me wrong, it still wore me out though!). I was planning on just hiking another one of the small mountains/foothills close to Denver, but I happen to have all day free this time and I would like to take advantage of this rare occurrence by getting in as good a hike as possible. I do not have snowshoes and have never been snowshoeing, but would be willing to rent a pair if there is a particular safe and recommended route. I'm not looking to encounter any trickier scrambles than Mt. Morrison (class 2?), and want to stay on a well-established trail as much as possible. My knee would appreciate a relatively gentle descent---it felt fine on Morrison, but I don't want to jump right to something that will trash it (I have had some off-and-on pain in my knee during descents in the past, so I’m easing into hiking this year). Basically, I'd love to find a moderate dayhike (up to several thousand feet elevation gain and 10 miles or so if the conditions are good) that is as scenic as possible, that I can get to fine in my 2WD car (or possibly my wife's subaru outback), and that is reasonably close (within 2 hrs) of the SW Denver area.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
iholdthepain
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Any suggested dayhikes that meets these criteria?

Post by iholdthepain »

RMNP meets your criteria... Bear Lake TH is as scenic and beautiful as you can get, most people wear snowshoes, but you can get away with wearing spikes on the snowpack. It has well established trails, plenty of vertical gain options, and breathtaking views... All at a small price, of course $20 for a week pass, $40 for annual...

A bit closer to you is Evergreen Mtn, in... Evergreen :-) It's free, easy to get to, well established for biking, hiking, and walking dogs... Views aren't AS nice, but it's all relative. If you make it to the top (6 miles r/t), you get a very nice view of the Mt. Evans cirque and n/e face. Also, there's probably nowhere near the amount of snow you'll have at the Bear Lake TH...
To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Regarding your knee pain, have you tried trekking poles? Descents used to kill my knees, and since I've started using them I don't know how I ever made it down the mountains I did without them.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Bear Peak outside of Boulder is an awesome local hike. I prefer to go in the opposite direction of what is described here (descending the West ridge): http://totalboulder.com/resources/42.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There is a fun but short scramble at the top. You can also add on South Boulder Peak and/or Green Mountain to make it a more challenging day.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

jaymz: Yes, I have trekking poles, and I too think they make a big difference (I generally only use them on the descent).

iholdthepain: I just moved to the area, but I spent a summer here years ago, and I actually went on a hike from the Bear Lake TH (in RMNP). I recall the trail around Bear Lake being super short, but there were other trails going to other lakes higher up (within a few miles). When you say "you can get away with wearing spikes on the snowpack", do you mean for the trails up to some of the nearby higher lakes as well, or just for the immediate trail around Bear Lake?

Wildernessjane: That Bear Peak loop near Boulder sounds like a good idea. You said you descend the West ridge... do you think that way is gentler on the knees?

Thanks all... keep 'em coming!
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

rdp32 wrote:My knee would appreciate a relatively gentle descent---it felt fine on Morrison, but I don't want to jump right to something that will trash it (I have had some off-and-on pain in my knee during descents in the past, so I’m easing into hiking this year).
My wife has bad knee pain when descending only. Her doctor said it is "downhill knee syndrome". That's probably code for "I don't have any idea what it is...just deal with it."

Anyway, I bought her one of these. http://www.cho-pat.com/products/dualactionkneestrap.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It seems to help her quite a bit.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Yes, last summer I actually bought one of those for each knee. Between those, the poles, and a few ibuprofen, I can usually make it down without pain. I think the most important thing is to ease into hiking season and not just hike a 14er after months of no hiking, so I'm trying to do that as well this year.
iholdthepain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by iholdthepain »

If you take the Emerald Lake trail from Bear Lake, you will be ok with just micro spikes. Maybe the Flattop or Glacier Gorge trails, as well. They're all heavily travelled, the access is very easy, and the views are awe inspiring.

There will also be a lot of other hikers and park rangers there, too. If solitude is what you want, you don't want to go there. Based on your criteria, though, this trail would be good.

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

rdp32 wrote:Wildernessjane: That Bear Peak loop near Boulder sounds like a good idea. You said you descend the West ridge... do you think that way is gentler on the knees?
Yeah I think going up Fern Canyon from the East and down the West ridge would be much easier on your knees. You'll still encounter some steep sections but only directly off the peak. This makes for a great loop. Like I said, there are so many variations you can do in this area to increase your mileage and elevation gain. The 12 mile route where you tag all three peaks is described in detail in James Dziezynski's 'Best Summit Hikes in Colorado' book (which I highly recommend--lots of other cool hikes).
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I ended up going to RMNP (Emerald Lake) and it was a blast. It was a beautiful clear day. They are doing road work on the road between Lyons and Estes Park, though, which was annoying. This was my first time hiking in snow/ice and I must say that those microspikes are awesome! (granted, there was very little ice and the snow was pretty packed. But it made me feel safe and stable in any case.) Also, I think hiking on snow is easier on the knees than hiking on rocks. Anyway, thanks again all for the suggestions, and I'm sure I'll be doing those Boulder peaks at some point as well.
iholdthepain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by iholdthepain »

Glad you enjoyed it. Seeing Hallet's Fin and the Dragon Tail couloir while standing on Emerald Lake is pretty amazing! What REALLY sucks, though, about going through Lyons is the flood devastation :-(

The micro spikes are great, too. It's fun to pass by tourists who are struggling not to fall... You can jog the trail without worry if you want. RMNP is a great winter playground, and it's turning 100 this year :-)

wrxpilot
14ers: 11 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wrxpilot »

Sorry I just saw this post, and I realize it's too late now. But for next time, I would recommend Long Scraggy Peak in addition to the other great suggestions. I just did this hike a few days ago, and it was very enjoyable! I didn't see a single person the entire time, and the view up top was incredible! It's a fantastic 14er training hike, and typically accessible throughout the year (even winter).