The Colorado Trail

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The Colorado Trail

Post by HuskyRunner »

peter303 wrote:
HuskyRunner wrote:Since the thread has drifted to running anyhow, know of anybody that has done a casual jog of the CT? Wondering if it's doable as an unsupported, 2-2.5 week run going from town to town and staying nights in some lodging?
The record appears to be a little over a week a casual perusal in google. It appears to be a staple course in ultrarunning.
Saw that Scott Jaimie did the CT 8 days 7 hours, damn impressive but I would be lucky to do in twice that many days. I've run sections in Park, Summit, Lake, and Chaffee countries, some really nice running. Thinking that running 30 to 40 miles per day is my ideal with having a shower, good meal, and beer at the end of every day making for a real nice stage run. I'll break out the data book and maps sometime soon and see how this might work?
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

katdemaree wrote:This July, my friend & I are going to thru-hike the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. Neither of us have any experience with a backpacking trip of this magnitude: he is an avid rock-climber from Arkansas and I'm a local 14er novice. I would love any knowledge, advice, cautions, etc. that you guys have! We have done a lot of research/planning on it, but nothing can compete with the wisdom of experience. How feasible is doing any 14ers? Are any of them easily accessible from the trail or do they add a lot of extra mileage? What is the safest manner to handle lightning storms on open plains? What are the best & easiest reached re-supply towns?
Thanks so much everyone! Any advice is appreciated!
Katdemaree - Start running and walking as much as possible to get in shape for the trail. There is a lot of elevation gain/loss thought the entire trail, making for some tough days. Like everyone else is saying buy The Colorado Trail Guidebook from the Colorado Trail Foundation. The information in that is extremely valuable. A new edition of the book should be coming out sometime this spring or summer? http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Guides_c4.htm

Taking care of your feet and body is the most important thing you can do while on the trail. Make sure that you have comfortable footwear that has been broken in, and change socks though out the day to avoid blisters. I also use an anti chafing powder on my feet to prevent blisters. Get a anti chafing stick for use on the rest of your body, if you feel a hot spot apply some of that to your body. It will make for a much more enjoyable hike.

Since this has been a heavy snow year thus far. Make sure that most of the snow has melted from the higher elevation areas. This website http://www.coloradotrail.org/snowandweather.html and the Colorado Trail foundation Facebook account are great resources to find out conditions. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Colo ... 7198486403

Water - You shouldn't have a problem finding water this year, but it is always a good idea to keep your water bottles full. When you come to a good source of water, take advantage of it and fill up.

As for 14ers access along the trail.
Mount Elbert and Mount Massive - Start of Segment 11. Each one is about 6 miles round trip from the trail.
Mount Oxford and Belford - Can be done while on Segment 12, they are within three miles of the trail.
Harvard and Columbia - At the end of Segment 12.
Mount Yale - Segment 13. East Ridge Route, there is a great camping spot where the trail intersects with the East Ridge.
Mount Princeton - Segment 13. The trail intersects with the Mount Princeton Rd. Afterwards be sure to stop by the Mt Princeton Hot Springs and stay a night.
Mount Antero - Segment 14, along the Little Browns Creek trail. http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser
Mount Shavano and Tabeguache - Segment 14, the CT intersects with the main trail. It's a long day trip from there, maybe 10 miles?
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser
San Luis Peak - Segment 20. Around 2.5 miles from the CT. Easily hiked from the CT.
Coney Summit - Not a 14er but it is the highest point on the CT. The summit isn't very far from the trail, it worth summiting it. Segment 22.
Handies Peak, Sunshine and Redcloud - Can be hiked from segment 23, they are kinda far from the trail but it you can take off a few days. These are great peaks. http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser

I think those are the only 14ers that can be accessed while on the CT. Be sure to start them early in the morning to avoid afternoon storms. They will add a few miles on, but if you have the time go for it!

Lightning - We have run into a few storms while on the trail. The best way to avoid the afternoon storms are to start early and if you can set up camp in the early afternoon. This is especially true while hiking the highest portions of the trail are between Segment 22 and Segment 24, start very early because you'll be exposed most of the day. If you feel like the storm is becoming violent and lightning is present, drop down in elevation and seek some shelter.

Here are some of my reports for the Colorado Trail. Hope this helped, feel free to send me a message if you have another questions. Good Luck! Its a beautiful trail.

Segment 1 - 3 - http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser
Segment 13 - 14, and Mount Princeton - http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser
Segment 18 - 21 - http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

+1 on getting the Colorado Trail book; it's full of good info, and you'll be helping to support the organization that builds/maintains the trail.

Several posters have mentioned the idea of going from town to town on the Colorado Trail; this won't work without vehicle support.
Long stretches of the trail are many miles from the nearest town (this is in contrast to the AT for example). The easiest way to resupply is
to have friends or family meet you about once a week; the CT crosses lots of roads, even though it doesn't go right through very many
towns.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

DaveLanders wrote:+1 on getting the Colorado Trail book; it's full of good info, and you'll be helping to support the organization that builds/maintains the trail.

Several posters have mentioned the idea of going from town to town on the Colorado Trail; this won't work without vehicle support.
Long stretches of the trail are many miles from the nearest town (this is in contrast to the AT for example). The easiest way to resupply is
to have friends or family meet you about once a week; the CT crosses lots of roads, even though it doesn't go right through very many
towns.
I never had any trouble hitchhiking into town for resupply. Granted... this was a *lot* of years ago.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

There is a CT "databook" (CMC press) that only 1.9 ounces and contains all the information you need to hike the trail, without any fluff (pics and stuff), and it is really all you need on the CT. Campsites, mileages, road crossings, water sources, elevations, all you need.

As far as towns and resupply, it sure is handy if you just get comfortable with hitchhiking. I hiked half of the AT last year (the other half planned for this year), and once I was comfortable with this (hitching), life sure was good. Of course if you're going for speed, as has been said, just have family/friends support.

You might also peruse "whiteblaze.net", primarily an AT forum, but they have a sub forum for the CT and other long trails.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

My advice is to invest in a very nice backpack (at least really padded shoulder straps).. I had an ultra light pack and it KILLED my shoulders for 50 days.. I took my time thru hiking and I would recommend the same, I averaged 10 miles a day and had a blast. I was never rushed and had lots of time to fish, nap and explore. I was a bit ambitious with my 14er hikes ( I think I had like 10 or so planned along the way...) and I ended up only summiting Elbert (spent the night up there in early sept, pretty cold night). At the very least you should hike Elbert and San Luis, both close to the trail. Have fun and this trip is one for the ages, so soak it all up.
Climb up Pints down
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Taking your time is good advice. Because after ~ 7 days out you will be able to hike 25-30 miles per day without much effort.
summitbound
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (25)

Post by summitbound »

katdemaree

I will also be tackling the Colorado Trail this summer with my son. We are doing a mountain bike\ hiking combo. We will mt bike the bulk of the trail and hike through the wilderness areas. For a true end to end trip of the trail without detours or bypasses. I have a support team that is going to swap us "bikes for boots". Right now I have it planned at 20 days. Starting in Denver on June 27. I am a little worried about snow pack right now but will keep checking as the time gets closer.

dehrlich101 (14er member) provided me a wealth of info and has already done so in this thread.. :)

The only thing I might add is that you said you were local. The CTF office is in Golden. I stopped by and bought both books and they were more than happy to talk to me and answer my questions. I also have a spreadsheet I have been creating with days \ miles estimated, times, etc that we have planned. I also have some websites book marked that I'd be happy to share with you, just drop me a PM
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

GeorgiaTyler wrote:My advice is to invest in a very nice backpack (at least really padded shoulder straps).. I had an ultra light pack and it KILLED my shoulders for 50 days..
Yeah, you want to get the ultra light contents before getting the ultra light pack. If your total pack weight is much more than 20lbs then I would go with something more conventional.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

I was dirty, ugly and smelly with another guy (same condition as me) and had NO trouble hitch hiking last year. Even had a pair of 20 year old girls pick us up on Kenosha. Just smile big and rides come easy. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

"I will also be tackling the Colorado Trail this summer with my son. We are doing a mountain bike\ hiking combo."

Now, that is the way to do it!

The grind over the Ten Mile Range is gonna be fun!
Ragin Cajun
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

It's not bad (there's HC in the background, there)

I was doing a gear test, seeing if I could do the entire trail, without a backpack of any kind - just what you see on the bike. For the whole go, I thought it prudent to bring one along!