Greyrock Mountain Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hikingmtn
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Greyrock Mountain Conditions

Post by hikingmtn »

Anyone in the Fort Collins area that could give me a heads up? Just wondering what the trail might be like this weekend. Does it usually get packed pretty quickly after snows? I know it's a pretty popular hike in the summer, but what about now? Thinking about heading up this weekend and maybe do some snowshoeing followed by some scrambling if it isn't too icy. If you have any input, it would be a big help! Thanks!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Greyrock Mountain Conditions

Post by 12ersRule »

Great time to hike Greyrock, less crowds! Probably will have a snow packed trail right now. Bring microspikes or some type of traction. Leave snowshoes at home.
hikingmtn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

12ersRule wrote:Great time to hike Greyrock, less crowds! Probably will have a snow packed trail right now. Bring microspikes or some type of traction. Leave snowshoes at home.
Fantastic! Sounds good - thanks!
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

hikingmtn wrote:
12ersRule wrote:Great time to hike Greyrock, less crowds! Probably will have a snow packed trail right now. Bring microspikes or some type of traction. Leave snowshoes at home.
Fantastic! Sounds good - thanks!
I've hiked it a couple times this winter in the snow and cold. Had it all to myself--good times! Definitely only needed microspikes.
JasonFTC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JasonFTC »

Went up a few weekends ago just after that last snowstorm. Only needed microspikes, the rock was pretty icy so I turned back from the summit. But then I took the meadow loop back instead of the summit trail and had some really awesome views. Have fun!
hikingmtn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

Thanks for the input, everyone! It looks like we'll be headed up tomorrow and see what we can get ourselves into. I'll do a quick update about conditions when we return.
hikingmtn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

It was good day with a good hike!

We started at the trailhead around 9am and summited around noon or so. Headed down shortly after some very windy summit pics between getting media blasted by icy snow being picked up by the 30-40~ish mph gusts. We stopped right before last rocky section one the way down for lunch and made it back to the car around 1:30pm or so. The trail was pretty well packed all the way to where the Greyrock Meadows trail connects back up with the summit trail. After that, it was around ankle deep, unpacked trail but it was easy find our way. There were a few icy spots after we started the rock section before hitting the flat part near the bottom of the final summit. There, the snow was a little deeper (mid-calf) and the trail would have been hard to find if not for the numerous trail markers. Once through the flat section, careful rock hopping and testing the snow to make sure you weren't going to find yourself hip-deep in between rocks it was an easy summit. On our way down, a lot of the snow had melted and turned the trail into a soupy mess everywhere. I did the entire length without any traction and my fiancé had hers on for the last half on the way up and maybe a third of the way down.

Overall, it was a fun hike and I might return and try a trad route to the summit later this year. I assume it won't be nearly as quiet and solitary, but it still should be fun. Thanks again for everyone's input!
JasonFTC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JasonFTC »

Glad you had fun. I'm gonna give it another attempt soon. The first time I went was one if my first snow/winter hikes. I've gotten a few more since then and feel a bit more comfortable with my judgement. I want to make that summit. How long did it take you to summit from the connection of the summit and loop trail?
hikingmtn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

JasonFTC wrote:Glad you had fun. I'm gonna give it another attempt soon. The first time I went was one if my first snow/winter hikes. I've gotten a few more since then and feel a bit more comfortable with my judgement. I want to make that summit. How long did it take you to summit from the connection of the summit and loop trail?
I'd say it was about an hour or so. I would think that if we were to do it again, we could do it faster. A lot of it was wandering around, climbing around on the sub-peak to the northeast of the main peak...and playing around on the little frozen pond up top. \:D/