Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Star Dune - Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.
Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 pm

Timmy- Man, even if no one else likes the buggy, I think that is one phat ride! Makes me want to get one and pump more money into my truck! :)

ScottieT- Congratulations on having that shot/picture hanging in the Visitors center. I think that's a great honor. You've got a good eye.
I have a shot of a lone (Acacia?) tree taken from Medano creek looking at the dunes. The tree is bent at almost a 45* angle but theres no sand blowing in the picture. I'll see if I can dig up a negative somewhere.

Speaking of National Parks, does anyone know if the entrance fee is still $3.00 or have they finally raised it?

Postby Timmy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Two words: wilderness area.

Ok, pending National Park :lol: And, yes, that pix of the Dunes w/ the Crestones is awesome!!!
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Timmy wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Two words: wilderness area.

Ok, pending National Park :lol: And, yes, that pix of the Dunes w/ the Crestones is awesome!!!

My point is that the Dunes are both a federal wilderness area AND a national park (not pending, it's already done; actually a big chunk of the mountain area nearby is a "national preserve" instead of a park, which allows hunting). The wilderness designation dates back quite a long time, decades maybe, and was obviously done just to keep motor vehicles out.

Also, I believe that's Mt Herard (aka Mt Seven) in the background of that picture, not the Crestones.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Timmy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:54 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Also, I believe that's Mt Herard (aka Mt Seven) in the background of that picture, not the Crestones.

I was wondering why you were correcting me cause I was sure it was already a National Park. I just didn't feel like debating you on a fact.

Re: the Crestones, I thought someone before me had suggested it was the Crestones. I couldn't tell, nor do I care what the name of the mountain is. The spirit of my post was to comment on the beauty of the mountain but I know there are people who like to nit-pick other people's posts in order to somehow makes themselves appear smarter or somthing. :wink:

Oh, thanks for the education about wilderness. My dad is retired BLM and I grew up on BLM or Wilderness areas.
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²

Previous