Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Name that Mtn/Rock

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Name that Mtn/Rock

Postby Shogun » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Can anyone tell me where in CO this formation is? Name? Thanks!

Re: Name that Mtn/Rock

Postby geojed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:07 pm

That looks like the towers over in the West Elks. The Castles http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=38.734838,-107.169324&z=16&t=t4

From SP.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Yep, they are called The Castles, unranked 12ers, but really cool looking. They come off the ridge to the northeast of West Elk Peak (which is NW of Gunnison).

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=1742

The other candidate for the original image also could be Turret Ridge, east of Montrose near Courthouse Mountain, a ranked 12er and probably the hardest 12er in Colorado: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=1544

I actually am more inclined to say Turret Ridge after seeing where treeline is in the OP image vs the Castles...
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby geojed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:29 pm

You're probably right there Mike, treeline is a dead give away.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby highcountryhiker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Looking at the shapes of the formation I think it is The Castles. The SummitPost picture posted by geojed appears to be taken from the opposite direction from the picture posted by the OP.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

That's definately the Castles. Treeline climbs slightly higher on one side, but you can tell by comparing the profile of the rocks.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby geojed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 pm

If the OP could say where this was taken from that would clear everything up.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 pm

geojed wrote:If the OP could say where this was taken from that would clear everything up.

I'm saying I'm 100% certain that's The Castles. Click this link for another view that shows another view of the treeline: http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/Lair-of-the-Lizard/Lizards-PODs/i-qGCpM4n
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby SkaredShtles » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Yup. Definitely the Castles. Absolutely certain. Have a painting of that view hanging in my house. I first hiked Mill Creek back in 1982-ish. Wonderful place.

Postby Brian C » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby myfeetrock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Michael Colson

Postby myfeetrock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 pm

My guess is from around the Costo lake side. This shot is from the north looking south.
Michael Colson

Next