Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trails near Boulder

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby Wildernessjane » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:14 pm

I think it goes without saying that any of these trails could be pretty muddy right now. On the Jeffco Open Space FB page, Mount Falcon was recommended as one of the "better places to try" as things dry out. I also think that lower section of the trail would have the potential to stay muddy much longer.

Disclosure: I am not a trail runner but I am an avid mountain biker.

Postby Kruck » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 am

I don't have much to add, but as an avid trail maintenance volunteer in a completely different ranger district/ municipality, I would advise all those interested to see if trail crew volunteers are needed in your area after the proverbial dust settles. In my current area, a 2-inch event in an hour or so can cause some serious damage to "well maintained" trails. I can't imagine what 17 inches in a week can do. While there's almost certainly more pressing infratructure needs in your area right now, eventually there might be a lot of trail clean up to do. I'd advise those who can run a long handled tool for a few hours to do so if there's a need later on.

Also, St. Vrain state park at the corner of 119 and I25 offers endless mind numbing flat loops around an old disheveled quarry to the therapeutic sound of semi truck engine brakes. \:D/
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby Wildernessjane » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:29 am

Kruck wrote:I don't have much to add, but as an avid trail maintenance volunteer in a completely different ranger district/ municipality, I would advise all those interested to see if trail crew volunteers are needed in your area after the proverbial dust settles. In my current area, a 2-inch event in an hour or so can cause some serious damage to "well maintained" trails. I can't imagine what 17 inches in a week can do. While there's almost certainly more pressing infratructure needs in your area right now, eventually there might be a lot of trail clean up to do. I'd advise those who can run a long handled tool for a few hours to do so if there's a need later on. /

Thanks for the reminder! I'm already signed up to help out (http://jeffco.us/parks/volunteer/trail-building/). Jeffco Open Space is anticipating the cleanup process will last into the spring. It doesn't look like Boulder has a process in place yet to sign up as a volunteer. They are working on assessing the damage at this point.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 am

Wildernessjane wrote:
Kruck wrote:I don't have much to add, but as an avid trail maintenance volunteer in a completely different ranger district/ municipality, I would advise all those interested to see if trail crew volunteers are needed in your area after the proverbial dust settles. In my current area, a 2-inch event in an hour or so can cause some serious damage to "well maintained" trails. I can't imagine what 17 inches in a week can do. While there's almost certainly more pressing infratructure needs in your area right now, eventually there might be a lot of trail clean up to do. I'd advise those who can run a long handled tool for a few hours to do so if there's a need later on. /

Thanks for the reminder! I'm already signed up to help out (http://jeffco.us/parks/volunteer/trail-building/). Jeffco Open Space is anticipating the cleanup process will last into the spring. It doesn't look like Boulder has a process in place yet to sign up as a volunteer. They are working on assessing the damage at this point.

kudos to JeffCO on getting organized, sounds like they want to get the trails back on track ASAP
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby USAKeller » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am

FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 am

USAKeller wrote:FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.

Is Sanitas open now? That mountain has a special place in my heart :roll:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 am

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
USAKeller wrote:FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.

Is Sanitas open now? That mountain has a special place in my heart :roll:

How many laps did you do again? :P

I sure hope that Boulder sets up volunteer opportunities quickly before we all explode!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby aussie56 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 am

The Jeffco website has a list of closed parks and trails as well as flood damaged trails - it is a long list which i suggest you consult before following some of the advice in this thread.

Postby WebFoot » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 am

All Boulder Open Space trailheads are closed until futher notice.

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/

Sorry,
John

Postby goingup » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 am

I just finished running the Dakota Ridge/Matthew Winters loop. The trail on both sides of 26 is in REALLY good shape. The initial up to gain Dakota Ridge shows signs of a river that had once ran through it. On the Matthew Winters side there are puddles and a few creek crossings that you can jump over (one that you need to actually cross). I frequently run this loop and I have never seen water on it. It was quite beautiful with the creeks and everything is so green and grown in. It was quite enjoyable. Closer to the parking lot you can see signs of a creek turned into a raging river but all and all these trails are in EXCELLENT condition.

I came across 4 snakes sun bathing on the trail. I have never seen snakes on the trails here but they were out in full glory today. Not sure if this is flood related or just because I ran at a later hour than usual...
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Some photos of the recently assessed trail damage in Boulder OSMP:

https://www-static.bouldercolorado.gov/docs/09.17.13_OSMP_Flood_Update-1-201309171558.pdf

Postby PaliKona » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Is the road to the 4th of July TH open and clear?

PreviousNext