Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trails near Boulder

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.
User avatar
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby CarpeDM » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:44 pm

jsdratm wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:Just an FYI, Bear Peak and S. Boulder became accessible again as of today:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/osmp-trails9-21


Awesome news, Shadow Canyon is open as well! It was my go-to winter hike two years ago. I am planning to schedule a bunch of CMC hikes for it.


Be aware! Look at the accompanying map. Access to Bear & South Boulder Peaks is currently open ONLY via the Shanahan trails -- accessed in the neighborhood. For example, neither the South Mesa nor the NCAR trailheads are open.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

User avatar
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 am
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby jsdratm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:03 pm

CarpeDM wrote:Be aware! Look at the accompanying map. Access to Bear & South Boulder Peaks is currently open ONLY via the Shanahan trails -- accessed in the neighborhood. For example, neither the South Mesa nor the NCAR trailheads are open.


Shucks, I couldn't see the map images since they are blocked at work. Hopefully the south mesa trailhead will reopen soon. :| I guess I could do the Shanahan trailhead, but it would add mileage.

User avatar
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Louisville, Co

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm

jsdratm wrote:
CarpeDM wrote:Be aware! Look at the accompanying map. Access to Bear & South Boulder Peaks is currently open ONLY via the Shanahan trails -- accessed in the neighborhood. For example, neither the South Mesa nor the NCAR trailheads are open.


Shucks, I couldn't see the map images since they are blocked at work. Hopefully the south mesa trailhead will reopen soon. :| I guess I could do the Shanahan trailhead, but it would add mileage.


Actually, SoBo from Shanahan or Cragmoor via Fern and over Bear is very comparable to the Shadow Canyon route from S. Mesa, perhaps even a touch shorter now considering the recent re-routes of the Homestead and Towhee trails.

Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby ballackout » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Okay, I have a sort of similar question as the OP so I figured I didnt need a new thread.

Parents are coming into town this weekend and I am looking for a good front range hike (read Denver, Boulder area) that avoids problems associated with flood closures and government shutdown. And maybe has some good color still? Too much to ask? I am not necessarily looking for a summit, just something that my (55 yr old) parents will enjoy.

Any thoughts? Whats the deal with the IPW? Does 4th of july TH have a gate?

/end thread drift.

Posts: 1989
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby peter303 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 am

Two suggestions about a half hour away:

1) The Boulder Canyon Road has reopened. its always nice to look at the waterfalls (not much of a hike). Plus a fairly flat hike around Barker Dam in Nederland. Hopefully some part of the Canyon Road or Nederland is at peak tree color now.

2) Golden, about a half hour to the south was less damaged. You could go to Lookout Mountain, to Buffalo Bills mountaintop gravesite and museum. Or the Golden Cliffs on North Table Mountain.

User avatar
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Erie, CO

Re: Trails near Boulder

Postby roguejackalope » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm

peter303 wrote:1) The Boulder Canyon Road has reopened. its always nice to look at the waterfalls (not much of a hike). Plus a fairly flat hike around Barker Dam in Nederland. Hopefully some part of the Canyon Road or Nederland is at peak tree color now.

I believe that Boulder Falls is closed and has been all year.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests