RMNP....question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

RMNP....question

Post by hmelch »

Hi all,

So I'm driving from Denver to Cody, WY tomorrow and I'm pondering whether or not to stop at RMNP on the way. I don't have a ton of time to spare in the Park, so I'm wondering what are some of the must see sites/short hikes? I'd like to keep my visit to only a few hours, if possible; a travesty, I know.

Thanks in advance!
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Re: RMNP....question

Post by Doctor No »

Focusing on short / bang for your buck:

Alberta Falls (would stretch to either Mills Lake or The Loch if you want to make the time)
Alluvial Fan
Bear Lake to Nymph/Dream Lake

The first three could be seen easily in a few hours. Of course, you're going to have the tourists (anything within a half-mile of a trailhead in RMNP is packed solid this time of year).
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

If you can make it work, you can drive over Trail Ridge Road on the way (if you approach from the west). Plenty of good, short hikes up there.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

Thanks

I was thinking about hiking a portion of the way up to Chasm Lake. Is it worth the time? Or should I view some of the more tourist-saturated areas listed above?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

No on Chasm Lake, too much time spent below treeline.

Question....is it gonna be worth $20 to go in to you?

If so, drive up as far as Alpine Visitors Center and hike: up the hill just north of the visitors center. Also stop at 'rock cut' and hike around a bit. If still time, hike Deer Mountain, a 10er with great views.

If no, hit Gem Lake, it is free, great views of Estes and the divide. Twin Sisters is good too. Get open views fairly quickly.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

There are some nice views on the way up to Chasm Lake, but I don't think that they're necessarily any better/worse than other parts of RMNP.

If you want great views of Longs, I'd hike to Alberta Falls, up to Mills Lake, and then further as your schedule allows. Bring a copy of the Colorado state quarter so that you can compare the view to the backside of the coin.
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

I can't locate Gem lake on my map. Is it off Rte 7?

Also, can I drive north on route 7 to Estes Park, then east to Loveland without entering and paying park admission? It's not clear on my map.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Gem lake is just north of the intersection of 34/36. Lumpy ridge trailhead.

Http://www.nps.gov/romo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , ViewParkMap

Yes, you can drive on 7 and then east on 34 without paying. The pay stations are a couple miles west of there.
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

I'll throw in a suggestion for Mt. Ida from Milner Pass. Nice tundra walk, not too steep, incredible alpine scenery, less crowded. Good chance of seeing bighorns as well.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

clemsonmtneer wrote:I'll throw in a suggestion for Mt. Ida from Milner Pass. Nice tundra walk, not too steep, incredible alpine scenery, less crowded. Good chance of seeing bighorns as well.
I second this post. Great views of glacial topography and remnant small icefields in the Gorge Lakes between Mounts Ida and Julian.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I just did the opposite a week ago (drove from Cody to Denver) and it was a looooong drive. There was a lot of road work going on in Wyoming and they were tearing up the road all over and we had to stop for a few long periods. This was the route through Thermopolis, so YMMV but it took forever..

Also, as you go up north, there is a lot of smoke from all the fires going on. Cody was thick with smoke