Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lists of Peaks to climb

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Lists of Peaks to climb

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 am

Like lists? Here are a few different lists I think are interesting.

Colorado 14ers
Continental US 14ers
Colorado Highest 100
Colorado County Highpoints
US State Highpoints
(50+) Best Summit Hikes in Colorado (by James Dziezynski)
Colorado 50 Highest Prominance Peaks
US Ultra Prominant Peaks

What lists are you working on ? Some may say "no list" because, hey, there is no wrong answer, unless the answer is "stop hiking".
Last edited by djkest on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Lists of Peaks to climb

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:13 am

What lists are you working on ?

This one:

http://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481

No rhyme or reason on the climbing list; I just want to climb them. Or perhaps I should say there are various reasons for climbing most of them.
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 am

I'm currently working on the "14ers my wife hasn't climbed" list. 5 to go.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Dave B » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am

I would love to climb every 2-3 star route in this book. At least those 5.8 and under.

Other than that I'm not much for following lists or peak bagging. Especially because my time in CO is limited, unfortunately, so I'd rather go for quality.

50 classic climbs or Fred Beckeys 100 classics would be cool too, but unrealistic.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby spiderman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am

I would give a thumbs up for the Ultras. The peaks are almost all magnificent (except Abercrombie) and the sojourn takes you to some of the best places in the West. McDonald, Snowshoe, He/She Devil, and many more truly amazing climbs. We are only halfway done but are now addicted.

http://www.summitpost.org/ultra-prominence-peaks-of-the-48-states/174556

Postby PatsSox09 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:07 am

Agreed with the ultras. I've been hooked on 2K prominence peaks too...if you think 14ers are addictive....you'll never run out of P2K's. Similarly, range HP's too. Typically those tend to be P2K's as well, but not all of them. The benefit for both those lists is that those summits are often the highest, most dominating summits in an area, and have great open views.

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 am

Steve Gladbach gave me the idea for this list: the ranked 13ers in the Storm Peak Quad.
1 down, 40+ to go!
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am

How about all the 13ers in a certain range? Just the Gore 13ers are harder than all the 14ers. The Front 13ers require a few overnights and a couple poaches. The Sawatch has some quite challenging peaks.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 am

Whatever sounds most fun on a given weekend. I have been killing this list since finishing the 14ers. Batting 1.000.

EDIT: Posted hungover, misplaced period. Thanks Matt. Haha.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:26 pm

448 Western US county highpoints... includes Denali, St Elias, Hunter, Rainier, Baker, Teton, Hawaii, most of the CA/CO 14ers

Along the same lines, I wonder how a list of all the range highpoints would look? I wonder how many people have completed the ones in Colorado? I wonder if anyone has completed all the ones in the west.

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Where Colorado is concerned, I will feel like I've really experienced the state once I've finished the Centennials, County Highpoints (done), and top 100 prominence peaks. That seems like a pretty good cross-section to me.
I will also work on the lowest 100 13ers "underachiever" list, just to be a hipster.
The 57 Ultras are a lifetime goal, and if I ever move to another state, its counties will be a pursuit.
Denali screws up the state HP list, as well as the National Park HP list. I just have no desire to be cold for that long.

SurfNTurf wrote:Whatever sounds most fun on a given weekend. I have been killing this list since finishing the 14ers. Batting .1000.

So, you're only enjoying 10% of your hikes? Sorry, man.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Where Colorado is concerned, I will feel like I've really experienced the state once I've finished the Centennials, County Highpoints (done), and top 100 prominence peaks. That seems like a pretty good cross-section to me.

It seems that that would skip all the more desert like peaks though, in which several of them are harder than the any of the alpine ones and have a completely different feel.

These types of peaks are really good too and you will miss them if you only stick to the highest peaks and county HP's:

Unless you make your own or climb everything on listsofjohn (which is close to impossible), I don't know if there is a set of standard list that will give one a really good cross section of all the types of peaks the state has to offer.
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next