Crested Butte climbs/fishing/eating

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Crested Butte climbs/fishing/eating

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

My girlfriend and I are heading to C.B for the wildflower fest and we were wanting to maybe climb a peak (easy and short) and fly fish also. Any inside info on what to do and where to go, camp, must do's and must see's? thanks a bunch.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Crested Butte climbs/fishing/eating

Post by rickinco123 »

Food is generally great in town, lots of good restaurants. If you are staying in town you can hike Mount Axtel from town. Lots of great easy peaks off of Ohio Pass as well. If you are staying at the ski resort, Mt Crested Butte has an awesome peak. Hike to the top of Yule Pass from Paradise basin.

My favorite driving loop in Colorado goes like this:
Drive over Kebler Pass from town to Paonia reservoir, you will see more wildflowers than you have ever seen in your life. Head over to Marble, hike to the marble mine, easy hike, what you see there will blow you away. Drive over Schofield Pass if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. People will warn you how dangerous it is, if you have ever been to Moab, Schofield Pass wouldn't even make anyone think twice, just for reference. Tourists driving over Devils Punchbowl doing stupid things is why it has the reputation it does. You will go by the Crystal Mill, I guarantee you have seen a picture of it before. Probably as popular a photograph as the Maroon Bells.

Great fishing, ask the locals.
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

thanks for the info, I wish we were going to be taking my 4wd but we are cruising in her ford focus. So we will be pretty limited in our driving options. great info for when I go back with 4wd. thanks again
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

We are headed to CB this weekend. I have hiked a few trails in the area. If you are looking for some high views, hike to the top of Mt. Owen from Lake Irwin. It is a 13er and not too bad. Great views all around. There are several trails in the Gothic area. Last year my favorite hike turned started just on the west side of Schofield Pass. I hiked up over Hasely Pass and down into the Hasley Basin until it met the Fravert Basin (one of the basins in the famous Four Pass Loop). Climbed back up Fravert Basin over Frigid Air pass and back down to the trail head. It was ~15 miles round trip, but the view and flowers were spectacular. I was planning to do it again this weekend, but I will be short on time so looking at some other options. As for fishing, there are many places in the area, but there is a store in Gunnison (It is on the south side of Highway 50 a block or two west of the junction to CB). Unfortuately, I forget the name, but they generally have good information where to find the best fishing. Have fun.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

The state record rainbow and brown trout, plus Mackinaw and kokanee, all came from the Crested Butte / Gunnison area. The short stretch of the Taylor River below Taylor Park Dam had the state record rainbow for years, but you need thin tippets (7X) and to be prepared for some combat fishing (crowds). Hard to beat the confluence at Almont, the Gunnison upstream from all the dams, and the East downstream from Crested Butte. Dragonfly Anglers in CB is a good bet. Tight lines!
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Owen and Ruby Peak offer easy access from near Lake Irwin off of Kebler pass
Augusta peak from near Pittsburg (off of slate river road), if you have good clearance you can get farther up the road closer to the mine.
Treasury, Purple or Baldy from paradise divide, all 3 are a fairly short hike. Cinnamon is even shorter with great views all around.
Mt. Bellview from Schofield pass.
Gothic peak is a locals favorite.
Teocalli is pretty iconic and you'll have great wildflowers up there.
A little farther away you can hike East Beckwith from near lost lake off of Kebler pass. Love this area as many of the peaks have huge views all around.

Camp, this should give you plenty of options:
Oh be joyful camping off of slate river road
Dispersed free camping up washington gulch
pay campground just past the gothic townsite off of gothic road, free dispersed camping starting maybe 1/4 mile after that.
pay campground up at lake irwin, but plenty of free dispersed camping off of kebler pass.
There are some nice camping spots near the start of pearl pass just past the turn off for the deer creek trail

Must Do:
rent a bike for a day, if you're a beginner ride out lower loop/woods walk near peanut lake and out to the gunsite pass bridge. The wildflowers are amazing out there right now.
Drive out wash gulch over to paradise divide and hike a peak
waterfall hike (Judd falls or oh be joyful)

Fishing:
East river near the roaring Judy fish hatchery, there are ponds + good access to the east river
Taylor river, plenty of access all up and down the road, usually crowded just below the dam
gunny river just below Almont, the confluence of the east/taylor right at Almont usually has too many people for my liking.
gunny river just before it spills into blue mesa.
the smaller lakes/streams higher up near town hold fish too, but they definitely won't be as big and numerous as what I mention above although some of the best "secret" backcountry spots require a hike.

Also, stop by the brick for a beer and secret stash for pizza. Montanya (distiller) also makes some fantastic drinks.

If you have extra time to make a day out of it, it's fun to drive kebler pass out to Paonia, fish the north fork of the gunny river, stop by a few wineries, pick some fruit right out of the orchards and stop by revolution brewery to have a beer.

Enjoy CB!
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Total thread hijack.....but........Ajkagy, I have a question for you.

I'll be in CB around July 25-26 with a couple gals from my mountain bike race team. Besides 401, what would be another good trail to ride to enjoy the wildflowers. We don't mind lung busting climbs or technical trails. I've ridden the Cement Creek area, but nothing else out that way. Thanks in advance.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Titan
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Titan »

If you are looking to re-fuel I will suggest Camp 4 Coffee right off main street. They make a damn tasty espresso chocolate shake that tastes like it must be close to 2000 calories. Delicious after long hikes!
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

mtgirl wrote:Total thread hijack.....but........Ajkagy, I have a question for you.

I'll be in CB around July 25-26 with a couple gals from my mountain bike race team. Besides 401, what would be another good trail to ride to enjoy the wildflowers. We don't mind lung busting climbs or technical trails. I've ridden the Cement Creek area, but nothing else out that way. Thanks in advance.
if you're looking for a longer day out, ride snodgrass + 403 + 401. There will be good flowers pretty much the whole ride. Some lung buster climbs, I think this is close to 30 miles if starting from the mountain, over 5k of vert I believe too.

snodgrass is short, quick and easy...lots of flowers there. Combine with Lupine and lower for a longer ride.
Lupine + Upper Lower/Lower/Budd Trail is fairly short, non-techical, close to town, tons of flowers, nice views and the downhill on Lupine is great.
Upper + Tony's or Whetstone vista is a fun quick segment. Tons of flowers in the open fields off of Upper Loop.
Strand Hill/Farris/402 area is nice and can be all ridden in a day as they loop around. Farris and Strand are a couple of my personal favs, great downhills. Strand is maybe an intermediate ride, where as Farris is more rocky/technical.
I don't usually recommend Deer Creek since I hate the climb (some walk a bike) and there isn't a huge downhill reward, but the flowers up there are really nice.
Dyke trail is a classic. Haven't ridden it yet this year since it's usually a fall ride for me.
Green lake has one of the best techy uphills/downhills near town. Grunt/lung busting climb, but not many flowers since it's in heavy timber, bring the mosquito spray for this one.

A lot less scenery/views and flowers down near cement creek/spring creek road, but Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's is a classic ride...the same with Doctor's park.

Since you'll be here on a Friday and have extra energy at the end of the day, I think CBMR is still doing the free friday evening lift rides, but not 100% sure.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

ajkagy - I guess thread can end here. Thanks for all that useful info, will at least attempt a bunch of your ideas. thanks again for the time and we will certainly enjoy CB!! cheers
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Thank you so much for the great info, Ajkagy. Snodgrass/403/401 sounds like it just might fit the bill ! Although it sounds like I need to spend a couple weeks in CB and experience ALL the great rides. So many rides, so little time. :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
krs1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krs1 »

Here's a few more suggestions:

We did the Guides Ridge on Mt. Crested Butte last weekend which was a fun, but short 4th/low 5th class climb might want to rope up depending on skill level. We hiked up the mountain to the base of the ridge to make it worth our while, and then took the chairlift down.

Hiked Gothic to Conundrum Natural Hot Springs as a day hike, but it can also be done as a backpack/overnight trip. It's a pretty BIG day hike, 18 miles & 5k of gain/loss. Triangle Pass @ 13k provides some excellent views of the Elks and wildflowers. Did a quick soak in the hot springs and then headed back.

If you are looking for pizza in CB definitely hit the Secret Stash.