Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hikes in the Sand Dunes?

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Hikes in the Sand Dunes?

Postby Dan England » Mon May 20, 2013 12:06 pm

We are headed to the Sand Dunes next week, and I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for a hike? I would like a short, 3-5 mile family hike and a long trail run I could do of 8-10 miles. I know I'm probably dreaming here given that the dunes really are just a pile of sand, but even around the area of a 10-15 minute drive away would be great.
Any ideas? I am a 14er finisher so technical trails are OK, though clear of snow by this point would be ideal.

Re: Hikes in the Sand Dunes?

Postby overunder » Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm

The trail that starts at the campground and runs up the east side of the park is nice. It can be used for both the short and long hike. After about 5 miles it crosses a road and continues to curve toward the west. Good views of the dunes and surrounding hills all along. Been a while so the trail name slips my memory but its one of the only established trails in the park.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 am

I think that trail is called the Sand Ramp Trail. You can start at the campground, or drive up the road to Point of No Return (end of the 2WD portion) and hike north from there. That would be my choice for the longer hike; keep in mind that it's hard to walk in sand so your distance covered will be less than a normal trail. For the family hike you must go to the High Dune (playing in the creek is a blast), or if you want another hike in addition to the dune field maybe Mosca Pass.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby wineguy » Tue May 21, 2013 1:49 pm

I hiked the trail from Zapata Falls, which is a few miles south of the dunes, towards South Zapata Lake about a month ago. The trail was scenic and well-maintained. though had snow above 10,000 ft. I'm guessing the snow-line is much higher by now.
Life is a long lesson in humility. - James Barrie

Postby Dan England » Thu May 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the help folks!