Rustler Gulch to Copper Basin (Elks)?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Rustler Gulch to Copper Basin (Elks)?

Post by carson_h »

Has anyone connected from Rustler Gulch to Copper Basin? It looks like the easiest route connects south of Precarious Peak and West of PT 13,323, but there are some steep and loose sections on the South side of the pass. I'm hoping to find a route that is class 2+ max. Pictures are appreciated!

Thanks,

-Carson
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Rustler Gulch to Copper Basin (Elks)?

Post by gb »

I've only been in that area with snow cover in the spring. I think you will find a way through though. UN 13,323 = Cassi Peak

Some relevant photos in these:
http://14erskiers.com/blog/2011/06/gold ... ir-6-5-11/

http://14erskiers.com/blog/2012/08/tr-copper-lake/

http://14erskiers.com/blog/2012/10/tr-rustler-gulch/
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Fb, thanks for sharing the links. It's not easy locating much info for that area of the Elks. I've always had a feeling that area is under appreciated. Or should I say it's just not a well known place for a myriad of reasons. White Rock Mountain is one oft favorite mountains in Colorado.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

Google earth shows the route down Cassi Peak to be a scree fest -- your plan to travel this area with snow cover was a good idea. Thanks for the info, and photos!

Does anyone have beta for this area in summer?

Thanks,

-Carson
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Didn't see what you needed in the second 2 posts? Shows the route down cassi pretty well, in the summer.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

The basin immediately below Precarious is very rocky, and not an easy tundra walk. There is an old miners trail high in the basin west of Cassi (13,232) (or north of UN 13,260) (near the word "FOREST" on the topo). Thus, the easiest travel might be to hit the pass between Cassi and 13260.