The Incline - worth the trip?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The Incline - worth the trip?

Post by jrs1965 »

I am no fan of Rudy's. My routine is to either stop at Marika's Coffee House or to load up on German pastries at Wimburgers...
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

carson_h wrote:I love the incline. I usually continue up to Barr Camp then descend the Barr trail. Rudy's BBQ is always part of the program. My only issue with the incline is parking -- arrive early or late. Parking enforcement in Manitou is aggressive!!!
Or...park on Manitou Ave, or better yet at Memorial Park.
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

Hike to Barr Camp by starting on the Incline then heading straight west on a trail that I can't remember the name of but its very well defined and pretty much the only trial that leads due west from the top of the incline area. Take that trail for about a mile when it will dump into the Barr trail. Take a right and head west on the Barr trail for about 3.5 miles. Make sure to stay left at the intersection for the experimental forest about a .5 mile hike from when you rejoin the Barr from the top of the incline trail. I think that doing the incline as well as trying to summit pikes peak would be hard for someone who has not done the incline before as its a slightly different muscle group. The hike to Barr camp will be very enjoyable as you have already gained 3000 of the 4200ish feet of vertical it take to get to Barr Camp. Otherwise no the incline is not worth a 2 hour drive.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

pills2619 wrote:Hike to Barr Camp by starting on the Incline then heading straight west on a trail that I can't remember the name of but its very well defined and pretty much the only trial that leads due west from the top of the incline area. Take that trail for about a mile when it will dump into the Barr trail. Take a right and head west on the Barr trail for about 3.5 miles. Make sure to stay left at the intersection for the experimental forest about a .5 mile hike from when you rejoin the Barr from the top of the incline trail. I think that doing the incline as well as trying to summit pikes peak would be hard for someone who has not done the incline before as its a slightly different muscle group. The hike to Barr camp will be very enjoyable as you have already gained 3000 of the 4200ish feet of vertical it take to get to Barr Camp. Otherwise no the incline is not worth a 2 hour drive.
I agree. The Barr Trail is awesome and worth the trip. The incline can be a zoo at times. If you can and have time keep going past Barr Camp all the way to the A-Frame at tree line. Unreal place with amazing views.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

Are parking times limited park in Memorial Park? The last time I arrive mid-day on a weekend, all the spots I could find in town had a 2 hour time limit and I'm not that fast...
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Manitou has a parking information page that specifically addresses runners issues: http://manitousprings.org/parking-information/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There will be free parking with a free shuttle behind Tajine Alami (dirt lot just east of Memorial Park) starting in mid-May. Their plan is to run the shuttle from 6 am to 6 pm from May 19 to September 9.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

Parking can seem hard if you are in a hurry but I always just drive to the Barr Camp lot and pay cause unless its really busy you can usually find spots. This might have changed as the last time I was regularly doing the incline was about a year ago. Also if you don't currently do this, you should start; if you pay for a 24hour parking space at the main lot then please give your ticket to someone else as you are leaving.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

pills2619 wrote:if you pay for a 24hour parking space at the main lot then please give your ticket to someone else as you are leaving.
This is illegal, and you will be ticketted if caught. Then you'll have the Incline Blues (bad singing courtesy of Bill Beagle).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump