best place for a first winter summit?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Re: best place for a first winter summit?

Post by Papillon »

If you haven't done much hiking in winter or pretty cold conditions, I recommend easing into it. Hit stuff like Twin Sisters in RMNP or Chief-Squaw-Papoose up by Echo Mountain first. You can spend the time working on your layering system and your water storage system (extremely important), and also gauge how your body reacts to the elements.

For water, I have a 0.5 L nalgene bottle that I hang around my neck with a lanyard and tuck into my jacket. I have never had my water freeze. I carry the rest of my water wrapped up in gatorade bottle(s) in my pack.

I usually keep my food on me (in jacket and pants pockets) to keep it at a palatable temp.

You do not need $500 himalayan boots unless you think they might get you laid in summit county. I have $130 merrell boots with 400g thinsulate. It would be better to save the $370 here and put it toward a subzero western mountaineering bag or a hilley.

Try to keep your packweight light (most people don't). You'll figure out pretty quick what you need and don't need.

These will go in the snowy season:

Twin Sisters
Estes Cone
Flattop-Hallett
Chief-Squaw-Papoose
Grizzly-Sniktau-Cupid
Lady W
Mines-Eva-Flora-Parry
Bald
Boreas
Peak 10
Peak 9
Northstar
Tweto
Mosquito-Treasurevault-London-Repeater
Evans B (13,577)
Quandary
Sherman
Decalibron from Moose Creek
Elbert
Pikes from Crags
Bierstadt
Evans
Square Top
Gray Wolf
Grays and Torreys (assess the slopes of Kelso)
Rogers and Warren (assess the slopes near Goliath)
La Plata (winter variation)
Fitzpatrick/12780
Tincup Peak and the adjacent unnamed 13er
Yale
Whale
Horseshoe
Buckskin via Loveland Mountain

Prepare for longer approaches. They can vary year to year.

Good luck.

Are you related to lordhelmut?
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

thanks again... and no, not related to lordhelmut... but find our competing presences to be highly entertaining.
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

quandary was my first...the fact that you can drive to the th is a big plus imo, plus it gets a ton of traffic so there should be a somewhat packed trail to follow.
Vincit Qui Patitur