Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

"The Castles" near Gunnison

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

"The Castles" near Gunnison

Postby Bob Kocher » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:13 am

I'm looking for info on "The Castles" which are northwest of Gunnison. They're rock formations/towers on a ridge just above treeline. I think they're visible from Ohio Creek Rd as you drive northwest out of Gunnison.

Has anyone hiked to them? I'm trying to find info on a trailhead, how long is the approach, is there any scrambling (I hope so!) and if there's any non-technical routes up any of them.

Thanks!

Re: "The Castles" near Gunnison

Postby Floyd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 am

If you mean the ones along the trail to West Elk Peak, then they are technical. Scott Rogers posted asking for some info on climbing them a while ago and I don't think he got any useful feedback. The hike in looks excellent and West Elk seems to be a great (albeit gentle) 13er. It's a long hike that I hope to do with my family in the next couple of years.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Re: "The Castles" near Gunnison

Postby ajkagy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:12 am

it's a pretty long hike, and the trailhead is just south of ohio pass. The west elk wilderness is pretty awesome. More than likely you'll see very few people or be totally alone out there. You'll see a lot more horses/people up there in the fall when the elk hunts start. The west elks have the largest amount of aspens in Colorado and I would recommend going in Mid Sept. The fall colors are just starting up around here and might be a week earlier peaking than they usually do.

Here's a good resource: http://www.summitpost.org/west-elk-peak/151963
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.