Silverthorne area suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CHROMIS
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (1)

Silverthorne area suggestions

Post by CHROMIS »

My wife and I will be headed to the Silverthorne area in a few weeks, and I would like to take her on a nice half day hike. I don't really need a 14er but maybe a 13 or 12 (but even that's not a big deal) Just looking for something that has some fun easy hiking on an fairly established trail, and good scenery to go with it, since she has never done anything like this before.

Does anybody have any good suggestions? Are there any good maps I can get for the area?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Silverthorne area suggestions

Post by TravelingMatt »

This comes up often, although there are no consistent search terms one can use.

The Ptarmigan trail is gentle, scenic, rather uncrowded and gets you above treeline, to around 12,400. Trailhead is above the cluster of hotels on the north bank of I-70.

Buffalo Mountain (the dominating round mountain you stare at coming down I-70) is another option, although the top part is a relatively steep slog through scree. TH is at the top of the Wildernest development.

There's the old standby of going up to Loveland Pass and doing Sniktau or Cupid to the south, but this will be crowded and maybe not committing enough.

My recommended map is the Latitude 40 map of Summit County.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

If you are willing to go towards Hoosier Pass, McCullough Gulch is a great hike. It sits below Quandary and follows the creek up as high as you want to go above treeline. There are waterfalls along this trail and dramatic scenery. TH parking can get crowded due to it's proximity to Quandary TH, so get there early for a better parking spot. If you go north, there is a great hike to Eaglesmere Lakes. They sit below Eagle's Nest Peak and are also just gorgeous. It is a stunning fall hike due to all of the aspen. You can find these here:
http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIK ... 0Trail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIK ... 0Trail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have fun!
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

I'd second McCullough Gulch. Eccles Pass is a good option as well. It's a bit long, but a nice easy day hike (that's not too exposed in case there's weather). You can go on from Eccles Pass to Deming or a few other 13ers as well.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

If you can meet the following criteria:
a) don't mind a short drive (hour or so)
b) can either (1) hike on a weekday when it won't be busy (2) don't mind a crowd on a weekend
c) don't care if it's a 12er or 13er
d) love beautiful scenery

... then go to Hanging Lakes
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Buffalo Mountain. Excellent views from the summit. Negatives = steep.

Buffalo Mountain Trail: 4 miles roundtrip, 3,200 ft. elevation gain, class 1

http://www.summitpost.org/buffalo-mountain/153075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

All good options. This web site should help.

Buffalo offers some great summit views of the Gore Range. It can be a bit steep through the boulder field.

Ptarmigan is fairly easy. You can also access it from a new TH at the Angler Mountain Trail, which is north on hiway 9 from I-70 about 4 miles. Here is a summary

You should also consider Eccles Pass, which lies about 1.5 miles southwest of Buffalo summit. It is a pretty hike up a gentle valley to about 12k ft.
please rotate your device
CHROMIS
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CHROMIS »

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, I will take a look at all of them in detail, but they all sound just about right.
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

this website might help...

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/sum ... l_list.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rockchalker
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (25)

Post by rockchalker »

Go to Spruce Creek Road just a few miles south of Breckenridge, turn right on Spruce creek and go a short distance to the trailhead parking lot. From there you can do Lower/Upper Mohawk Lakes or Lower/Upper Crystal Lakes, both very nice hikes.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving."