Sheep Mountain 11,933' (Sawatch Range)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Sheep Mountain 11,933' (Sawatch Range)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I plan to climb Sheep Mountain (11,933 ft). This is west of Buena Vista and between Mt. Princeton and Mt. Yale. My map indicates both points are part of Sheep Mountain, but the taller summit is on the left. I'll probably hit the right point as well. A photo from BV ...

Questions:

1. Has anyone in this forum community hiked it?

2. I'm looking at starting near Cottonwood Lake and climbing via Porphyry Gulch. Has anyone done it this way? If so, comments? (It looks like the most reasonable route.)

3. Is there a register on the summit? (If there's no answer in the affirmative, I'll bring a notebook and canister.)

I can not find even one trip report online from someone who has bagged this mountain.

-sg
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sheep Mountain 11,933' (Sawatch Range)

Post by DaveLanders »

ColoradoGuy wrote:I plan to climb Sheep Mountain (11,933 ft). This is west of Buena Vista and between Mt. Princeton and Mt. Yale. My map indicates both points are part of Sheep Mountain, but the taller summit is on the left. I'll probably hit the right point as well. A photo from BV ...

Questions:

2. I'm looking at starting near Cottonwood Lake and climbing via Porphyry Gulch. Has anyone done it this way? If so, comments? (It looks like the most reasonable route.)

3. Is there a register on the summit? (If there's no answer in the affirmative, I'll bring a notebook and canister.)

I can not find even one trip report online from someone who has bagged this mountain.

-sg
1. Yes, I've been to both summits.

2. I used Porphyry Gulch. There are bits and pieces of old mining roads and trails; I don't remember

if there is continuous trail all the way to the top or not.

3. I have no idea if there is a register or not; it was many years ago that I did this.

I remember being surprised to encounter goats on one of the summits, instead of sheep.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

You seem to be referring to the "jeep trail" on the topo which starts at about 9600' and 3/4 of a mile west of the west end of the lake. A few years ago I headed up that route and ran across several "Private Property" signs right in the vicinity of the "mine" shown at 10,300' (not a surprise). The owner so happened to be right there and our brief chat was cordial. But he also indicated his preference was that folks stay away from his property.

I fully understood his request and, since the weather was a bit marginal anyway, I chose to head back down rather than investigate the extent of his property boundaries and possible routes around them. Thus, you are likely to encounter private property issues and then would need to find ways to honor them if you wished to proceed.

R
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Good information. Thank you!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

After reading about Rarefied's experience, I went back and found my notes from this trip. It was in 1995,
and I was using Bob Martin's "Hiking Trails of Central Colorado" (1983 and probably out of print) for beta.
Even in 1995, there was an access issue, as Rarefied described. I parked just east of Cottonwood
Lake Campground, but still west of Porphyry Gulch, and went straight up the hill, and hit the jeep road
at about 10,040'. That bypassed the private property problem, at least back then. That was a long
time ago, so today's situation could be different.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

ColoradoGuy wrote:I plan to climb Sheep Mountain (11,933 ft). This is west of Buena Vista and between Mt. Princeton and Mt. Yale. My map indicates both points are part of Sheep Mountain, but the taller summit is on the left. I'll probably hit the right point as well. A photo from BV ...

Questions:

-sg
The main mountain on the left is Sheep Mountain South (11939') and in the background is (I believe) Sheep Mountain North (11858'). Both are ranked peaks, over 500 feet of drop between the two. I went most of the way up Porphyry Gulch from Cottonwood lake campground, but didnt go all the way to either summit. (Was with an 8 year old) Below is a map of the portion we traveled. The mine road is just a couple hundred feet above the campground, but it didn't seem to gain a whole lot of elevation so I didnt use it too long. The slope is steep and crappy, but not dangerous and is very doable. It'll burn the legs. I didn't see any issues regarding private property when I was there, it was 2008ish.

--D
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Thanks for all the information!

Well, we did it. At the end of the road was a large "no trespassing" and "private property" sign. We went around that area in the woods.

http://coloradoguy.com/sheep-mountain/colorado.htm

We got on the ridge of the south summit. Great view of Cottonwood Lake.

All in all, I'd say that was a MISERABLE hike, although I'm glad it's checked off my list. :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

Congrats Steve. Awesome way to celebrate reaching the summit! :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")