Fatality among multiple incidents in Rocky Mountain National

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Fatality among multiple incidents in Rocky Mountain Nati

Post by Scott P »

Rock glaciers are prodigious in the San Juans as well.
Yes, rock glaciers are all over Colorado. The two I was speaking of may actually be rock covered glaciers rather than rock glaciers. Some other "rock glaciers" may actually be rock covered glaciers as well.

It's hard to tell from the surface. It wasn't until 1994 that the Timp "Glacier" was thought to be a possible rock covered glacier, rather than just a rock glacier or snowfield. This only because in 1994 a crevasse opened up in the rocks, exposing possible glacial ice, but the gap was reclosed not too long afterward. Unless something like this happens, it is very hard to distinguish a rock glacier from a rock covered glacier. The difference between the two being that a rock covered glacier is a real glacier, but buried under tons of rocks and talus. The Dove on Longs is another example of a possible real glacier buried under tons of rock and talus.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, condolences for the family of the hiker that has passed on.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.