Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Post by B[3] »

Anyone know about crossing Cochetopa creek Near Eddiesville?
I'm planning to go up the Lake fork / Machin Basin trail with a full pack, but it sounds like crossing Cochetopa can be a serious challenge. Anyone done this?
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Post by San Juan Ron »

I have crossed it several times hiking the CT -- albeit a few miles higher up than Eddiesville -- and not had a problem. Given the low streamflows this year, I don't think you will have any issues. SJ Ron
Ron McFarland
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Post by Ron McFarland »

That is a good question and one that I would like to know more about too. I suspect in a low water year that it still could be over the knee for 3 or 4 steps, I am six ft tall. Fishing in that area looks awesome and this creek crossing has that slow and deep look to it. In a normal snow year suspect it could be tricky. Let us know how you get on.

We did a trip last year from the other side via the Saguache creek drainage's and had to turn around because of one small but steep snow field before Manchin Basin - it was to risky for our llamas to negotiate.