Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Postby B[3] » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Anyone know about crossing Cochetopa creek Near Eddiesville?
I'm planning to go up the Lake fork / Machin Basin trail with a full pack, but it sounds like crossing Cochetopa can be a serious challenge. Anyone done this?
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Re: Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Postby San Juan Ron » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:41 am

I have crossed it several times hiking the CT -- albeit a few miles higher up than Eddiesville -- and not had a problem. Given the low streamflows this year, I don't think you will have any issues. SJ Ron

Re: Crossing Cochetopa Creek

Postby Ron McFarland » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 pm

That is a good question and one that I would like to know more about too. I suspect in a low water year that it still could be over the knee for 3 or 4 steps, I am six ft tall. Fishing in that area looks awesome and this creek crossing has that slow and deep look to it. In a normal snow year suspect it could be tricky. Let us know how you get on.

We did a trip last year from the other side via the Saguache creek drainage's and had to turn around because of one small but steep snow field before Manchin Basin - it was to risky for our llamas to negotiate.