Lawn Lake/ Hagues Peak / Mummy Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Lawn Lake/ Hagues Peak / Mummy Peak

Post by djkest »

Trying to quickly plan a hiking trip for this Saturday. I'll be in Loveland so RMNP seems like a good choice.
Here's a hike I'm contemplating, seems feasible from various Beta I've seen on Summitpost, although a bit long.

Start at Lawn Lake trailhead 8600'
Hike 6.2 miles to Lawn Lake ~11,000'
Continue hiking up to "the saddle" between Hagues and Fairchild on the trail
Turn right and walk up Hagues Peak (13,600'). Continue on to the saddle with Mummy Mountain (12,700), Summit (13,300) and take the S/E Slopes down, rejoining the lawn lake trail at treeline and back to the trailhead.

Elevation gain: ~5500'
RT distance: ~17 miles.

Seems doable, what do you guys think?

EDIT: Found this trip report- they did most of this hike on the 2nd day, so it's entirely "do-able".
http://thepeakmind.com/2009/03/21/a-mum ... e-weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or, I could go for another shot at Longs Peak just for the exercise. It's a lot of hiking but it's a nice route.
Last edited by djkest on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Lawn Lake/ Hagues Peak / Mummy Peak

Post by TaylorHolt »

It is doable in one day, but it makes for a pretty long day. I did this hike about ten years ago but chose to overnight it at Lawn Lake. I also hiked Fairchild from Lawn Lake a few years later and did that in one day. Definitely a worthwhile area to visit that should get you away from the RMNP crowds.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I've done it before. It's pretty much all trail to the saddle. Hagues, Rowe Peak, Rowe Mtn, then Mummy. The descent off of Mummy is the most brain-draining part. Seems to go on forever.

I wonder what the snow situation is just before Lawn Lake right now though. Could still be a little bit of postholing.
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Google up "Mummy Mania" or "Mummy Bag" to see how you can basically do 8 peaks in not too much more effort, if you have two cars. Basicall, leave a car at the LL t/h, drive the other up to Chapin pass, do 8 peaks, wind up down at the LL t/h, drive up and get the other car, voila.

I did this about 8 years ago, let's see if I can remember the peaks: Chapin, Chiquita, Fairchild, Hagues, Rowe Peak, Rowe Mtn and Mummy mountain. That's only 7. I'm missing one. Oh yeah, Ypsilon is in there. Anyway, this is about 16 miles and 6K of vertical. About the same effort as your two-mountain itinerary.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

You can also get a few 11ers on the way back too. Bighorn and Tileston.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

climbing_rob wrote:Google up "Mummy Mania" or "Mummy Bag" to see how you can basically do 8 peaks in not too much more effort, if you have two cars. Basicall, leave a car at the LL t/h, drive the other up to Chapin pass, do 8 peaks, wind up down at the LL t/h, drive up and get the other car, voila.

I did this about 8 years ago, let's see if I can remember the peaks: Chapin, Chiquita, Fairchild, Hagues, Rowe Peak, Rowe Mtn and Mummy mountain. That's only 7. I'm missing one. Oh yeah, Ypsilon is in there. Anyway, this is about 16 miles and 6K of vertical. About the same effort as your two-mountain itinerary.
Yeah, I looked up Mummy Mania. 1, I wouldn't have 2 cars and 2, I'm not sure I'm ready for that. But we'll see if I get a hiking partner or whatnot and how the weather is shaping up. Is mummy mania basically class 2 if you want it to be? Seems like a loooooot of work. :)

Alternately I could "bag" Mt. Meeker since it's a Centennial Peak.
49ersRule wrote:I've done it before. It's pretty much all trail to the saddle. Hagues, Rowe Peak, Rowe Mtn, then Mummy. The descent off of Mummy is the most brain-draining part. Seems to go on forever.

I wonder what the snow situation is just before Lawn Lake right now though. Could still be a little bit of postholing.
I called the RMNP info line and they said it's basically snow free until the last 1/2 mile to the lake, and that there were "deep drifts" between the lakes and "the saddle". Bummer. But that was almost 2 weeks ago and no updated conditions since.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Yeah, w/ only one car you're out of luck unless you hitch a ride, not likely super early in the morning, but part of my point is that the Mummy Mania is no more effort, based on the stats, because you start high (Chapin pass) and work your way down (LL t/h). I don't remember anything over class 2+, but I'm old and memory fades. If you're considering the MM, check the TR's (I have one on summit post myself) for beta on technical difficulty.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I did Mummy Mountain last year and it was a good hike. It is very long, since you have a long approach before even getting to the mountain and then you have to bushwhack your way up to tree line, followed by a long hike to the summit. If you are starting the other way at least you will have a trail to the saddle. I ended up running out of water for the first time since it took much longer than expected and made the noob mistake of not having iodine tablets with me.

I didn't see a single person on Mummy Mountain itself and surprisingly no marmots or pikas despite the wealth of flowers for them to eat. It definitely has a very nice view of the north end of the park. Given the isolation and scenic views I would definitely recommend it.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

If you just wanted to do Mummy, you might be able to avoid most of the snow by ascending via SE Slopes. There is essentially no snow from treeline to summit, and you could probably bag Hagues and Rowe without much more effort. Mummy is an awesome summit.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

If you wanted to cut some distance, you could take a hard right near the 11,600 foot contour on the map below and ascend steep grass to the Hagues-Mummy saddle.

Hagues-Mummy

The terrain between the two peaks is mellow but a bit tedious with all of the rock-hopping.

If anything, you could use it as a bail route if you ascended Hagues and decided to leave Mummy for another day.

Sweet area. Good luck.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
mike offerman
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

Just a note on doing Mummy Mania this time of year. Fall River Road will not be open, so you would need to hike down to Chapin Pass from Trail Ridge.
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

No snow to speak of below Lawn Lake when I jogged up there week-end before last. Probably almost none now. Hmmm, I can't pull up a mental picture of what the slope to the pass looked like! Hypoxia, maybe :wink:?

JimS