Recent 4 Pass Loop conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Recent 4 Pass Loop conditions?

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Anybody have beta on the 4 Pass Loop (or photos from some of the 14er's looking into the basins)? I'd like to try an early season trip before tourist season starts. I don't think snow will be a problem, but wanted to check first. Thanks in advance, Tom
roguejackalope
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 25 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Recent 4 Pass Loop conditions?

Post by roguejackalope »

I don't have any of good pictures here at work with me, but there is definitely still snow. We went up to Trail Rider Pass from Snowmass Lake over Memorial Day weekend. We saw a few sections of the trail, but did the entire climb on snow. There was even more snow on the other side of the pass. That said, it is melting pretty fast up there. Could be mostly snow free in a couple weeks, but that is wild conjecture. Good luck!
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Thanks- that's what I was afraid of
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Bump. Anyone have newer info on this? Thanks.
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

2nd that bump. Anything will help.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

when i was up above schofield pass this weekend frigid air/west maroon pass basin looked pretty dry. To give some type of perspective, trail 401 is usually not ride-able until July, but it's totally dry right now. Everything is over a month early melting out this year, total July conditions up there.

If i spin up there this week i'll take a few shots looking into the basin.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 3675_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Here is a shot from this weekend posted on CBs facebook page, you can see the S. face of maroon in the background and the basin where frigid/w. maroon pass is.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Thanks a bunch. That helps a lot.

I'm taking my girlfriend up there this coming weekend. She's strong and fast, but is kinda scared of snow. From Florida :roll:
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
msteiner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by msteiner »

I am planning to do this loop next week (June 21-24) over the solstice. Any up-to-date beta on the route would be appreciated. The rangers said that there still may be some snow and the creeks are running about knee deep.
Thanks!
sevenvii
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sevenvii »

I assume so, but does anyone think that flower blooms will follow that same pattern? I know where I am, all trees and flowers down low seemed to be a few weeks ahead of a normal year. So if 4 pass is typically in full bloom early august, would early July be expected prime this year? Thoughts :?:
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

sevenvii wrote:I assume so, but does anyone think that flower blooms will follow that same pattern? I know where I am, all trees and flowers down low seemed to be a few weeks ahead of a normal year. So if 4 pass is typically in full bloom early august, would early July be expected prime this year? Thoughts :?:
I'm thinking in another 3 weeks the flowers should be in full bloom around crested butte. There are already tons of yellow flowers out at 11k ft near frigid air pass. The only caveat is that we need rain really freakin bad right now. It's been a good 3-4 weeks since we've had any and everything is dry which might hinder the flowers.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

Just posted a trip report depicting our 4 pass loop variation that we completed this week (finished yesterday). We tried to get photos of the passes (which were pretty clear); most of the snowfields were below the passes on the slopes and some were fairly steep. The creek crossings weren't too bad (I don't think the water was anywhere near my knees where I crossed, but it was too deep to cross in just my hiking boots). I couldn't fit all of our photos in the trip report, so if you have other questions let me know.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
tmahon
14ers: 58  57  6 
13ers: 206 102
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmahon »

Did the loop yesterday. Snow isn't an issue. There were some backpackers out there, but compared to the usual Saturday in July or August, it was really quiet.