Buchanan Pass - IPW

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Buchanan Pass - IPW

Post by Derek »

Does anyone have recent info/pictures on the east side of Buchanan Pass via Buchanan Pass Trail?
I know that it often holds a decent cornice at the pass, but wondered if it was easy traveling this year due to the dry weather. If its too bad, I'll probably just gain the divide 1-2 valleys south...but having a trail is nice.... :)

In fact, any info from the area would be helpful if you have it. Haven't been up there this winter, no clue on whats been going on.

Thanks!

--D
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Buchanan Pass - IPW

Post by mtngoat »

I'll be driving that way today so I will try to take a picture to post. From the front range, it still looks like a decent snowfield up there.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

mtngoat wrote:I'll be driving that way today so I will try to take a picture to post. From the front range, it still looks like a decent snowfield up there.
That would be fan-tabulous. Thank you!

--D
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtngoat »

Here you go. Sorry I was not able to zoom in much closer. The light was kind of flat so discerning a cornice was tough. There appears to be a small cornice (maybe 6-10 feet) in the heart of the saddle but might be navigable on the ridge on the north side.

I'm not sure how deep the snow is but I the coverage looks pretty decent. Have a safe hike.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Wow, thanks! Those REALLY help!
More snow than I expected up there, but I think you're right that it would probably be doable to hit the ridge to the north. Is that rock I can see directly on the ridge to the north of the saddle I wonder? Maybe just shadow.

Anyway, thanks a lot. Extremely helpful.

--D
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Just an update if anyone was curious:
Kimo and I went up to Buchanan Pass this past weekend, attempted to gain the pass, but backed off due to late day temps and soft snow. (Ended up taking a different route straight to Red Deer summit.) I would say you could gain the pass right now if got there early, although thats hard to do because of the distance in that it requires.

Major cornices are avoidable.

Thanks again mtngoat for your beta!

Buchanan Pass from north:

Buchanan Pass from southeast: