Recommend me a hike for Tomorrow in Boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Recommend me a hike for Tomorrow in Boulder

Post by SeracZack »

Hey all! Looking for some suggestions on a hike in Boulder tomorrow (3/31). I just got stitches out of my hand and still have a pin in it so I can't do anything super difficult, but I have been dying to get outside and the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. Looking for anything in the 2 to 6 hour time range. Thanks!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
chalupa356
14ers: 11  1  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Recommend me a hike for Tomorrow in Boulder

Post by chalupa356 »

1. Bear Peak from NCAR - 5 ish hours
2. South Boulder Peak and Bear Peak via Shadow Canyon (Trailhead is along Marshall Road going to Eldo). 4 ish hours

There will probably be a few people on those trails though. If you want to avoid the masses I would consider hiking Eldorado Mountain. You have to bushwhack it up to the top but its a great little hike. 4 ish hours.
"In the heart of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

There is always what most people hike like S. boulder and Bear peak which offer up close to 3k vert, great views. Green mountain is another good summit hike. (all of these will be crowded guaranteed)

You could also combine royal arch and mallory cave into a hike. I know Mallory usually closes April 1st for roosting bats, so you'd be fine to go tomorrow. (these will probably be crowded as well)

Another nice hike with an option to make it longer is Betasso loop/benjamin loop. Those trails don't allow bikes on Saturday, just foot traffic and is a bit quieter than the whole Chautauqua/flatiron trail mess boulder usually has on the weekends. Also, these are a bit easier as well and still have nice views.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I like to combine Green, Bear, and S. Boulder into a nice, arse-kicking trail run with an even vertical mile of altitude gain. My fastest time is around 4:30. And it's awesome training for higher peaks and long days in the mountains. If I was only going to do one of them, I would do Green Mt from Chautauqua (free parking is nice).
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

This Boulder Open Space site has an interactive trail map. While some of the routes are straight forward, a few areas have a maze of trails.
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... &task=view

Download the file for more printing options.
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... temid=2677

I also like to combine S Boulder, Bear & Green for a long day. Tomorrow will be a day to say Hi to a lot of friendly people on the trail! :D

Most of the park is well maintained trail, but there are a few scrambles – like the summit of Bear.

Also does anyone know if any snow/ice has survived in shaded spots? :?: Thinking of your healing hand. 8-[
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

MountainHiker wrote:Also does anyone know if any snow/ice has survived in shaded spots? :?: Thinking of your healing hand. 8-[
Very good question. I know on March 10th, the last time I was on Bear Peak it was snow/ice covered from the creek crossing to the summit, but strongly suspect a lot of that's gone now.
jam6880
14ers: 57  10  4 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jam6880 »

South boulder peak has snow from where you turn left at the top of the ridge of shadow cayon. Mircospikes are helpful. No snow on upper part of bear peak. On the west ridge of bear peak there is couple of short sections of snow (all dirted up). Bring bug spray.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

MountainHiker wrote:This Boulder Open Space site has an interactive trail map. While some of the routes are straight forward, a few areas have a maze of trails.
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... &task=view

Download the file for more printing options.
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... temid=2677

I also like to combine S Boulder, Bear & Green for a long day. Tomorrow will be a day to say Hi to a lot of friendly people on the trail! :D

Most of the park is well maintained trail, but there are a few scrambles – like the summit of Bear.

Also does anyone know if any snow/ice has survived in shaded spots? :?: Thinking of your healing hand. 8-[
Thanks for the links! Those will come in handy.

To everyone - thanks for the suggestions so far! The hike doesn't necessarily need to be a peak either, just want something to do for a while with good views.

Thanks again!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

MountainHiker wrote:Also does anyone know if any snow/ice has survived in shaded spots?
I was there on Wednesday, there's some slushy snow in the shaded parts on a few of the switchbacks near the top of Green but it was fairly grippy by noon. I brought my Microspikes just in case but never felt the need to put them on. I suppose in the early morning it might be slick though.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

I would recommend Bear Peak via the Shadow Canyon Trail. I've done it about 3 times the last couple of weeks and this is my favorite route. It's a great work out with rewarding views from the summit. Micro spikes definitely not needed. If you're feeling up to it, I would hit the trail around 4am and try to catch the sunrise. The views of Boulder and the city lights at night time are pretty remarkable.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I've only done Bear direct from NCAR...is Shadow Canyon more fun?
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

[quote="PaliKona"]I've only done Bear direct from NCAR...is Shadow Canyon more fun?[/quote]

Shadow Canyon has a longer approach (maybe a 1/2 mile?) and it is a bit steeper than Fern Canyon. On the other hand, West Ridge is much longer and more gradual than either of the other Bear Peak routes.

Shadow Canyon does not seem to get as iced up in the winter as Fern Canyon. I choose Shadow Canyon when I want a workout that simulates the steepness of 14ers.