Skier Dies At Vail; Snowboarder Dies In Breckenridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Skier Dies At Vail; Snowboarder Dies In Breckenridge

Post by ajkagy »

wow, horrible way to start the season...really sad

people need to just take it easy early season, slow down on that WROD
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Hence the phrase "white ribbon of death". As I understand it, only Born Free was open. Possibly too many people too close together.
robby40
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robby40 »

Longtime local doctor dies at Vail on opening day

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/201111 ... ofile=1062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tough ones.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

I was at Breck earlier today, riding Dukes (not overly crowded) the entire time. Northstar definitely seemed more crowded every single run when I'd glance over as it merged with Dukes. That being said, Northstar is a fairly wide run - plenty of room to steer away from traffic (at a decent pace). But, if some one is huggin' the trees and catches an edge, disaster can strike. Only speculation, not sayin' that's what happened. Any way you look at it, a tragic loss.

Prayers to the victims' families of both incidents. [-o<
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
BKullman
14ers: 41 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BKullman »

What a sad way to start the season here in Vail as well as in Breck. I remember the first time I met Dr. Charles Tuft when he brought in some brochures for Alpine Mobile Physicians to the Lionshead Inn where I work in Vail. I had chatted with him a bit about his experience as an Everest Expedition Physician. He was a very humble man and will be missed. My prayers go out to his family and friends.
winglady
14ers: 32 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by winglady »

Very sad. Also a reminder that, while wearing a helmet is a smart idea, it may not be the least bit helpful in some accidents. Don't imagine that just because you've got your helmet on, you are invincible & can ski/board as fast as possible.

Please be careful out there!
Colorado-for-Free - free things to see and do throughout Colorado
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
And: Because It's There - A Photographic Journey
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park
Highpoint Adventures