Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.
Posts: 1987
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby peter303 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Some of the smart phones could given the SAR rangers coordinates.

I've heard this a number of times in SAR reviews. There is an initial phone contact, but unclear location.

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby chrismjx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:43 pm

peter303 wrote:Some of the smart phones could given the SAR rangers coordinates.

I've heard this a number of times in SAR reviews. There is an initial phone contact, but unclear location.


Which phones/apps are these? I'm looking to buy a new phone soon, and this is something I would definitely be interested in! :D

User avatar
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: San Jose

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby TheOtherIndian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:46 pm

^^ I think he means the phones with a built in GPS receiver. As for apps, there are a dozens of them on the market that gives coordinates using these GPS receivers.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby tmathews » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

chrismjx wrote:Which phones/apps are these? I'm looking to buy a new phone soon, and this is something I would definitely be interested in! :D


There are no apps needed, actually. This article explains a little about how rescuers can use cell signals to locate lost hikers.

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby chrismjx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Ah, ok, thanks for the link to the Backpacker article! That's kind of what I always thought would happen in one of these cases, but I guess I was imagining like a SPOT app or something, ha ha! I guess this would be my solution for now: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116 You can update facebook and twitter from the BC!!! Oh, how many times I have found myself wishing I could do that... :YY

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 4881
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby CO Native » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:45 pm

The backpacker article over values the coordinates that phones provide. They usually only provide 3 decimal accuracy which is about a radius of 500 feet. The other problem is we have no idea when the phone actually acquired it's last coordinates. The phone will transmit coordinates based on the last fix it had. So if you turn your phone off at home and carry it with you on a hike. Then if you turn it on make a quick call and turn it off again, odds are we'll just get the coordinates for your house. SAR will of course look into any location given. Current phone models are better at acquiring signals faster but they also make it easier for the users to turn the GPS off to save batteries. Another issue is getting those coordinates from the phone company. They don't like to give out that information without the Sheriff getting involved and even then it can be a difficult process. The apps can be very helpful in you finding out your coordinates and if you can use the phone to tell SAR your coordinates that can greatly speed up a rescue. In questionable service the best advice is to create a text message with your situation and coordinates and send it to a number of people. Making a call requires a much stronger signal than sending a text message, plus your phone will send it for you as soon as it has strong enough service rather than you doing the "can you hear me now" routine.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

User avatar
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:31 am
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby Robzilla » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:10 pm

If you were familiar with SW Missouri, the Branson part would explain so much. Glad he was found safe.

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby metalmountain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 pm

chrismjx wrote:Ah, ok, thanks for the link to the Backpacker article! That's kind of what I always thought would happen in one of these cases, but I guess I was imagining like a SPOT app or something, ha ha! I guess this would be my solution for now: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116 You can update facebook and twitter from the BC!!! Oh, how many times I have found myself wishing I could do that... :YY



I use this all the time! You just hit the "I'm ok" button and then FB gets your real time coordinates. Makes it easy to keep friends in the know.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

User avatar
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Robzilla wrote:If you were familiar with SW Missouri, the Branson part would explain so much. Glad he was found safe.

Heh.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

User avatar
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 pm

About the App-coordinates thing, youre expecting a phone to give you exact coordinates in a deep gorge? I wouldnt bet my life on it. Look, I know you all own those trails illustrated maps, why not learn to use the UTM grid they so graciously give you and text SAR some real coordinates you can rely on regardless of what your phone says.

And hey, it might come in handy when you dont get service...
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby chrismjx » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:14 am

ChrisRoberts wrote:About the App-coordinates thing, youre expecting a phone to give you exact coordinates in a deep gorge? I wouldnt bet my life on it. Look, I know you all own those trails illustrated maps, why not learn to use the UTM grid they so graciously give you and text SAR some real coordinates you can rely on regardless of what your phone says.

And hey, it might come in handy when you dont get service...


How are we supposed to send SAR coordinates if we don't get service in that gorge? Just saying... :P

User avatar
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Re: Snowy Search Under Way For Missing Hiker In RMNP

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:55 pm

chrismjx wrote:How are we supposed to send SAR coordinates if we don't get service in that gorge? Just saying... :P

I guess my point is having the correct coordinates in the first place should be priority. Plus that skill doesnt need batteries or service.

What was this guys deal anyways? He was out of state and didnt know the area? I know a lot of people(read:tourists) get lost near Lake Haiyaha since the trail is a little weird, but nobody ever seems to get lost above the lake.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests