Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.
User avatar
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby jomagam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:00 pm

My friend and I changed our plans mid-hike and did this really scenic loop in RMNP. The traverse between Chiquita lake and Spectacle lakes was one of the best hour of hiking I've ever done.
Attachments
326172_10101164266751914_2303956_75704423_371777510_o.jpg
326172_10101164266751914_2303956_75704423_371777510_o.jpg (295.31 KiB) Viewed 503 times

User avatar
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby mountain_man » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:04 pm

I haven't done it, but RMNP is my home away from home. Ypsilon lake is already on my short list, but I'll add that loop to that hike. Is it actually a trail, or is it off trail?
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

User avatar
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I made it up to Chiquita Lake sometime in mid July. Very nice lake,unfortunately it was pouring rain the whole time and made it miserable. Not many people make it up there, so its a pretty special place. Heres my pictures
http://www.summitpost.org/chiquita-lake/734567
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

User avatar
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 am
Location: Golden, CO

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby Doctor No » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:17 pm

mountain_man wrote:I haven't done it, but RMNP is my home away from home. Ypsilon lake is already on my short list, but I'll add that loop to that hike. Is it actually a trail, or is it off trail?


It's a trail to Ypsilon Lake, and then a social trail beyond that.

I've been maybe 100 feet west of the waterfall above Ypsilon Lake. Very beautiful up there! My photos are towards the end of this album:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.145249645630.148725.676210630&l=5e13dfe285&type=1

User avatar
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Doctor No wrote:
mountain_man wrote:I haven't done it, but RMNP is my home away from home. Ypsilon lake is already on my short list, but I'll add that loop to that hike. Is it actually a trail, or is it off trail?


It's a trail to Ypsilon Lake, and then a social trail beyond that.

I've been maybe 100 feet west of the waterfall above Ypsilon Lake. Very beautiful up there! My photos are towards the end of this album:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.145249645630.148725.676210630&l=5e13dfe285&type=1


It's actually a pretty good trail for a ways, there are even some small log bridges crossing Ypsilon creek near the outlet from Spectacles. The social trail is on the south side of the creek and peters out around treeline.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

User avatar
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:49 am
Location: Golden, CO

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby Doctor No » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:28 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:It's actually a pretty good trail for a ways, there are even some small log bridges crossing Ypsilon creek near the outlet from Spectacles. The social trail is on the south side of the creek and peters out around treeline.


Good to know - thanks! We turned back because I didn't want to risk my fiance's happiness, but if she's studying for exams, I don't mind risking my own happiness at some point in the future (and it sure does look beautiful up there).

User avatar
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby jomagam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:I made it up to Chiquita Lake sometime in mid July. Very nice lake,unfortunately it was pouring rain the whole time and made it miserable. Not many people make it up there, so its a pretty special place. Heres my pictures
http://www.summitpost.org/chiquita-lake/734567


I added a few panoramic shots to that album. Luckily it was all sunshine for us.

User avatar
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 am

Re: How many of you have been to Chiquita Lake in RMNP ?

Postby jomagam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 pm

mountain_man wrote:I haven't done it, but RMNP is my home away from home. Ypsilon lake is already on my short list, but I'll add that loop to that hike. Is it actually a trail, or is it off trail?


Trail ends at Ypsilon lake, but it's pretty easy going if you go to Chi lake from there directly and not up the ridge like we did. Going up to Spectacle lakes is a little more rough, but doable.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests