Long Scraggy

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Long Scraggy

Post by somethingrandom »

Hey everyone-

I am looking for any beta on Long Scraggy that anyone has... SP and LoJ arent really giving me what I want. Last time I was up there, got turned around due to snow/storms and it wasnt even well planned at the time (more a spur of the moment thing).

Is there any sort of trail that was just buried by snow that I could have missed or??

Beta looking for: First, is there a trail? If so, distance/elevation? (last time I turned it into about 4k with all the up and down and was still well short of the summit), any other info would be appreciated!
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Long Scraggy

Post by Tory Wells »

I've never been up there, but a search of the "other site" revealed seven trip reports for Long Scraggy, all with good info. Of course you'll have to join to see them.

Wait a second, it is only against the law to name the competitor other there, so I'll whisper it.....Fourteener World.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Long Scraggy

Post by Derek »

Zoom in on the map from my trip report.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

From the parking area (left most marker) you follow a trail all the way until you are directly west of the lower north portion of Long Scraggys north ridge. Head off trail straight east and start gaining elevation. Just as you hit the ridge, you will come across another cairned trail. That leads the rest of the way to the summit.

So maybe only .2 or .3 miles of off trail total. Not sure of mileage and elevation for just Long Scraggy....rough guess....maybe 10 miles, 2500'?

EDIT- Note that from the trailhead to where you leave the trail, you are actually following a road. So pretty hard to lose. The trail up the ridge is a bit faint sometimes though. Take a map and you'll have zero issues.
From my Trip report:
Once we met back up with where we left 530, we continued following trail 695 to the north and eventually as it turned to the east. Right as the trail begins to head north again, we left the trail and continued straight east. (The northern most rocks on Long Scraggy’s north ridge were directly east of us at this point.) I recalled hearing that there was a cairned trail somewhere along the north ridge of Long Scraggy Peak, so we kept our eyes peeled for any signs of it. After some steep hiking towards the ridge, we finally came across numerous cairns that would lead us the rest of the way to the summit. (Met the trail at N39 21.321 W105 12.287)
--Derek