Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Re: Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Postby madbuck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:05 am

bohdi88 wrote:Three mistakes
1. Didn't tell anyone he was going to hike Bison Peak.
2. Went alone in unfamiliar territory.
3. Went off trail due to panic of sudden change in weather.

Hoping to be sensitive but not too pedantic, but isn't the word "factors" (as opposed to determining "mistakes") generally used in incident reports? Many of us don't consider "Hiking alone" a mistake, but can be considered a contributing factor. Similarly, it sounds like the weather itself was a factor; and the steepness of the difficulty of the surrounding terrain when shelter was sought; but seeking off-trail shelter wouldn't necessarily be a mistake, either. It shows that multiple factors, including human and external ones, compound upon each other.

We're probably on the same page anyway, especially that leaving a note about your plans is always a good reminder; but plenty of us still choose to hike alone on occasion.

RIP, this sounds like a big loss to many people, as this gentleman sounds like an inspirational person.
Last edited by madbuck on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 am

My condolences to friends and family...

madbuck wrote:We're probably on the same page anyway, especially that leaving a note about your plans is always a good reminder; but plenty of us still choose to hike alone on occasion.

Nothing wrong with hiking or climbing alone. Carry a beacon. Rescue or recovery will happen in days instead of weeks, or never.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby tenpins » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

madbuck wrote:
bohdi88 wrote:Three mistakes
1. Didn't tell anyone he was going to hike Bison Peak.
2. Went alone in unfamiliar territory.
3. Went off trail due to panic of sudden change in weather.

Hoping to be sensitive but not too pedantic, but isn't the word "factors" (as opposed to determining "mistakes") generally used in incident reports? Many of us don't consider "Hiking alone" a mistake, but can be considered a contributing factor. Similarly, it sounds like the weather itself was a factor; and the steepness of the difficulty of the surrounding terrain when shelter was sought; but seeking off-trail shelter wouldn't necessarily be a mistake, either. It shows that multiple factors, including human and external ones, compound upon each other.

We're probably on the same page anyway, especially that leaving a note about your plans is always a good reminder; but plenty of us still choose to hike alone on occasion.

RIP, this sounds like a big loss to many people, as this gentleman sounds like an inspirational person.

yes, the language used by someone formally trained as an investigator will be devoid of any blame words or anything suggesting conclusions. That is not the job of the investigator, but for "managment", because after all it will be they who decide what actions to do afterwards. So yeah, using the word "mistake" is a mistake. Not only does it try to persuade the audience that "aha! this is what happened", but it also by reason allows one or more people to ignore other contributing factors. It aint rocket science, but it is something one should have training on. Really all anyone can do is try and identify as many [i]contributing factors[i] as possible, address, correct and prevent as many as possible from recurring.

So going back to our 7th grade science classes; if "hiking alone" is the culprit, then hiking in groups will make one safe. Everyone can see how untrue that statement is as well. Wilderness medicine and PSAR programs are all about prevention! Once you get into a mess, have a little mishap, your day can get really bad, very quickly.

On that note, be safe out there.

Postby smrcka » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

RIP Brother....
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!

Postby timstich » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Postby jons » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:09 am

I was out there Saturday morning and saw more than I wanted to see...

For good reason please be safe and remember all those volunteers and folks who risk life and limb to recover or rescue others. They are heros! I have the most respect for those hard working folks.

Postby Uffda » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Park County Sheriff calls off recovery operation:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18741060

Postby rking007 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Hmm, I guess I'm confused... does that mean it's gonna turn into some strange Stand by Me thing? Will they return with a different plan to retrieve the body? What about the family? Or did I miss something in the article... :-s
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby mountainmanny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 pm

This sounds crazy!

Being a former Park County Resident of many years and also following the many blunders of Park County Law Enforcement...I would "reckon" they are missing a step or 2 in the process.....I would guess more could be done! much more extreme rescues and recoveries have been Successfully mounted many a time.
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon

Postby madbuck » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 pm

This article has more details on the remoteness of the terrain:
http://theflume.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=8363

And there is a reference to a similar problem with an abandoned recovery effort 30 years ago in the caves in this area, also referenced here:
http://www.cavesr4all.com/Cave_Pictures/Front_Range/front_range.html

I'm willing to trust Park County SAR's call on this and appreciate their efforts. One can only imagine the family feeling even worse if something happened to one of the rescuers.

Postby mountainmanny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

anyone have any pics of the cave(s)?

i have never been into this system but I would definitely give it a go.
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Based on reports of where the recovery attempts took place:

Being a Lost Creek nut, rough bushwhacking is all part of the game. This area, however, is a whole different league. I have had one "trip" off trail along that area, and its about as difficult an area as you will find in Colorado. The massive boulders, creeks, cracks and caves all on VERY steep terrain over the main creek. Make me completely understand the difficulties that they faced. This wasnt a normal above 12K/treeline recovery.

I feel for the family, and have a great amount of respect for the searchers working to make the recovery. Very sad.

RIP.

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

PreviousNext