Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake Hikes

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Re: Lake Hikes

Postby TravelingMatt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Get the Latitude 40 map of Summit County and pick a trail in the Gore Range that goes to a lake. You can't go wrong.

The trails that start near Vail can get busy on weekends unless you start early, though.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby clemsonmtneer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Bluebird Lake in the Wild Basin area of RMNP. Fairly long hike at 6.2 miles one way, but totally worth the effort. Also second Blue Lake for a shorter hike.

Postby Doctor No » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:02 pm

We did Ypsilon Lake in RMNP today, and I recommend it without reservation. I also like Bluebird Lake.

Postby ctlee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Here's one that fits all of your requirements--it may be crowded unless you go during the week and is 8 miles but not too bad--Herman Lake--one hour from Denver-exit 218 off I-70 (no name for exit, just number) take a right off the exit into the parking lot-first part climbs alongside a big waterfall--trail opens up into a beautiful bowl with awesome views--wildflowers galore this time of year are absolutely gorgeous--then up to the lake above treeline. Short drive and hike, big rewards. One of my first hikes after moving from back East and I was floored as a newbie.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Doctor No wrote:We did Ypsilon Lake in RMNP today, and I recommend it without reservation. I also like Bluebird Lake.

We went up to Ypsilon and beyond to Chiquita Lake. I'd rec it (kinda boring to Ypsilon though)
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

Postby Doctor No » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm

We thought about that - we ascended the waterfall and went aways; we looked a bit for the best way to get to Spectacle Lakes and finally decided that Doctor No should have researched the route a bit more before endangering his fiance. :lol:

She likes forest hikes, though, so she was happy with the tree hike to Ypsilon Lake.

Previous