John Denver Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sky
14ers: 47 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (0)

Re: John Denver Peak

Post by Sky »

I don't wanna Mount John Denver.
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

NO!
droidly
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by droidly »

+1 on the HST suggestion.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Doug Shaw wrote:
rking007 wrote:All I have to say is the Muppets Christmas album is the best of both worlds!
FYYFF. Nothing on this earth inspires me to fry up a few sides of bacon more than hearing Miss Piggy caterwaul, "Fiiiive goo-ooold rings...".
Ba dum dum dum!... mmmmm bacon...
I fall a lot wrote:
rking007 wrote:In fact, I think it should also be mandatory that John Denver be played on speakers along the trail the entire way up! :D Or maybe whoever builds the trail has to have him playing on speakers while they construct a trail... :D
They're building a trail, not torturing the Taliban.
So your saying you support the construction of a trail...? :)
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
DenneyR
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

Kitten wrote:
DenneyR wrote:
I fall a lot wrote:If his music wasn't so terrible it might be worth considering.

Maybe they should just put a pair of his glasses on the trailhead sign.
You have got to be kidding.........John Denver was a great lyricist and a terrific musician, his music is iconic

maybe you hit your head one of the times you fell...........
And a poet! many of today's singers out there just sing non sense crap...

Kitten.....you are so totally right......his words would take you to wherever or whatever he was singing about.
Most of todays music is senseless junk written according to the whims of music executives to milk as much money as possible from the public

I don't know how anyone, who loves the outdoors, could not appreciate many of the songs he's written

Here's a verse from one of my favorites

"Usually in the morning
I'm filled with sweet belonging
And everything is beautiful to see
Even when it's raining
The sound of Heaven singing
is simply joyful music to me."
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

As a caveat, I personally dislike John Denver's music. I am not arguing that he wasn't a decent song writer (not sure brilliant is the word I would choose) but it's just not what I am in to. When I am climbing, my internal music is hard and fast. Think Metallica Black Album. But that's the greatest part about music, mountains and climbing. It means something different to everyone. So if they want to name a nothing peak near aspen that I will never climb, John Denver Peak. That's fine with me. And it's nice that that peak would be available for those who appreciate his music to climb it.

Now, the best idea that I have heard in this forum is Hunter S. Thompson peak. That's a bit of a mouth full though. Gonzo Peak would suffice.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

XrunclimbskiX wrote:As a caveat, I personally dislike John Denver's music. I am not arguing that he wasn't a decent song writer (not sure brilliant is the word I would choose) but it's just not what I am in to. When I am climbing, my internal music is hard and fast. Think Metallica Black Album. But that's the greatest part about music, mountains and climbing. It means something different to everyone. So if they want to name a nothing peak near aspen that I will never climb, John Denver Peak. That's fine with me. And it's nice that that peak would be available for those who appreciate his music to climb it.

Now, the best idea that I have heard in this forum is Hunter S. Thompson peak. That's a bit of a mouth full though. Gonzo Peak would suffice.

Metallica's Black album is hard, but not fast. Maybe you mean Ride the Lightning?
I gotta get me an Avatar.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

DenneyR wrote:
Kitten wrote:
DenneyR wrote: You have got to be kidding.........John Denver was a great lyricist and a terrific musician, his music is iconic

maybe you hit your head one of the times you fell...........
And a poet! many of today's singers out there just sing non sense crap...

"Usually in the morning
I'm filled with sweet belonging
And everything is beautiful to see
Even when it's raining
The sound of Heaven singing
is simply joyful music to me."
My point exactly. :)

John Denver is the outdoorsman's John Tesh.
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

We have peaks named after cold-blooded killers like William Sherman, Philip Sheridan, and Kit Carson (just to name a few) - why the backlash against John Denver?

(Let the controversy begin...)
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

XrunclimbskiX wrote:So if they want to name a nothing peak near aspen that I will never climb, John Denver Peak. That's fine with me.
Mt Sopris is far from a "nothing peak". However, I suppose you'll never know....your loss.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Jim Davies wrote:
XrunclimbskiX wrote:So if they want to name a nothing peak near aspen that I will never climb, John Denver Peak. That's fine with me.
Mt Sopris is far from a "nothing peak". However, I suppose you'll never know....your loss.
Mt Sopris a nothing peak...that's about the funniest thing i've heard all day :lol:
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

Jim Davies wrote:
I was under the impression that they were going to name the East Peak of Mt. Sopris John Denver Peak. Maybe the Denver Post is wrong.