John Denver Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Re: John Denver Peak

Post by Kitten »

Doctor No wrote:
clemsonmtneer wrote:Worst idea I've ever heard.
You've been here since 2008, and that's really the worst idea you've ever heard?
Ha ha ha...
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Renaming Gold Dust Peak to John Denver Peak might be apropos...
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

If his music wasn't so terrible it might be worth considering.

Maybe they should just put a pair of his glasses on the trailhead sign.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Shouldnt it be Mt. Deutschendorf? :?
DenneyR
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

I fall a lot wrote:If his music wasn't so terrible it might be worth considering.

You have got to be kidding.........John Denver was a great lyricist and a terrific musician, his music is iconic

maybe you hit your head one of the times you fell...........
JenGa
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

+1
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

DenneyR wrote:
I fall a lot wrote:If his music wasn't so terrible it might be worth considering.

You have got to be kidding.........John Denver was a great lyricist and a terrific musician, his music is iconic

And a poet! many of today's singers out there just sing non sense crap...
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

DenneyR wrote:

Meh...I used to think I liked him, until I actually watched him on PBS when he was playing Red Rocks and it was pretty bad. I dig his spirit and fortitude (and his glasses), just not his voice or songs or one dimensional lyrics. Having said all that, I can still belt out some of his songs with the best of them! :D
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

San Juan Ron wrote:We already have a Denver Hill (12.3k) and Denver Lake here in the San Juans. Bonus points if you know where they are. Just add "John". SJ Ron
SJ Ron is right. Denver Hill is near Animas Forks. Should be visible between Animas Forks and Cinnamon Pass - if you have a topo sheet for confirmation. That's as far as goes for me about naming something for John Denver.

"Long ago in 1971" when I was young, impressionable and doing a geology field course near Salida, JD provided "Rocky Mountain High." From that point forward the rush to the Colorado high country was on. Changes took place. Thankfully, we have the 14ers Initiative to repair many of the trails that were trounced.

Naming peaks for someone famous, from the entertainment world or other "notoriety" is routine. Why not name an unnamed peak for one of our fellow 14er members like Peter Topp, who lost his life in El Diente last summer, or Dave Sanders, the Columbine HS teacher who was killed 4/20/99?

Just $0.02.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Man I love John Denver! All I have to say is the Muppets Christmas album is the best of both worlds! Let's not forget the Mitchell Trio either...

Not sure about renaming Sopris, but for sure some un-nammed peak in or near Aspen. In fact, I think it should also be mandatory that John Denver be played on speakers along the trail the entire way up! :D Or maybe whoever builds the trail has to have him playing on speakers while they construct a trail... :D
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

rking007 wrote:All I have to say is the Muppets Christmas album is the best of both worlds!
FYYFF. Nothing on this earth inspires me to fry up a few sides of bacon more than hearing Miss Piggy caterwaul, "Fiiiive goo-ooold rings...".
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

rking007 wrote:In fact, I think it should also be mandatory that John Denver be played on speakers along the trail the entire way up! :D Or maybe whoever builds the trail has to have him playing on speakers while they construct a trail... :D
They're building a trail, not torturing the Taliban.