John Denver Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: John Denver Peak

Post by pkripper »

I like the music. Would hate changing Sopris after living under it for so many years. I never liked being on the road around his birthday.
kmaley
14ers: 43 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kmaley »

I fall a lot asked, "Why the animosity [toward John Denver?]"

Myself, I pretty much like the guy, but I guess the "John Denver Go Home" people felt that he was a flatlander and a carpetbagger who came to Colorado and changed his name to Denver as a gimmick to promote his career and sell records (it worked!). Then he wrote pop songs about Colorado that seemed (to some) to promote a phony image for the state. He attracted tourists (which some people don't care for), and his music struck some as pure schlock. I'm sure Denver's advocacy of flaky countercultural things like "EST" contributed to a negative image in some quarters. On top of that, you have curmudgeons and contrarians who are against anyone popular, and finally there are people who just can't resist a snarky bumper sticker.

I wonder if anyone reading this actually had one of these bumper stickers? Maybe you could shed more light on the subject.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

The Board of Geographic Names (BGN) (which decides these things) no longer likes new names in wilderness areas.
A lot of the unnamed peaks in the Aspen area would thus be ruled out.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by DaveLanders » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:10 pm
The Board of Geographic Names (BGN) (which decides these things) no longer likes new names in wilderness areas.
Did someone let Gerry Roach in on that little tidbit of information? :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

kmaley wrote:I fall a lot asked, "Why the animosity [toward John Denver?]"

Myself, I pretty much like the guy, but I guess the "John Denver Go Home" people felt that he was a flatlander and a carpetbagger who came to Colorado and changed his name to Denver as a gimmick to promote his career and sell records (it worked!). Then he wrote pop songs about Colorado that seemed (to some) to promote a phony image for the state. He attracted tourists (which some people don't care for), and his music struck some as pure schlock. I'm sure Denver's advocacy of flaky countercultural things like "EST" contributed to a negative image in some quarters. On top of that, you have curmudgeons and contrarians who are against anyone popular, and finally there are people who just can't resist a snarky bumper sticker.
Well, that and the hypocrisy of moving to Colorado and then writing lyrics about how it's too crowded.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I wandered up Sopris yesterday and I kept hearing John Denver's voice in my head.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Eagle eye 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eagle eye 1 »

Being a native from CO. Having worked in Aspen for many years, sometimes right across the street from John Denver's house up in Starwood, having to put up with his arrogant, me only attitude ways, not being able to work with my heavy equipment, making an honest living, and having to pay my employees to do nothing, because he did not want to hear the machines working while he was home, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT re-naming Mt. Sopris, john denver peak. [-X [-X What a slap in the face to the Roaring Fork Valley. Remember when the so called energy crisis hit, he wanted to have several thousand gallon gasoline storage tanks put in on his property in Starwood. That's an environmentalist???????? ](*,) [-X Just my opinion.
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainmanny »

I think it a fitting paradigm...that the man who fought censorship is now needing censored....

or another option, pull a title from JD's legal name of...Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr

too bad Deutsch only sounds like "douche"...otherwise I would be in favor of calling it Deutschendorf Peak.
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

I'd love to see a Peak Named John Denver peak just to be able to say I ran out of gas while hiking John Denver Peak.

I just can't resist tasteless jokes.

Seriously I really like his music.
To the High Crags!
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainmanny »

ASPEN, Colo. -- An effort to name the eastern peak of Mount Sopris after the late John Denver has hit a snag.
The peak is located in a wilderness area and that could pose an obstacle to the plan.
According to the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, the U.S. Board on Geographic Names says Mount Sopris is in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Area and that could be a problem.

Denver was killed in 1997 when the experimental aircraft he was piloting crashed into the ocean near Pacific Grove, Calif.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28 ... etail.html
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
RosieTheSummiter
14ers: 40 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by RosieTheSummiter »

On the subject of naming peaks, I think it would be pretty cool to see a "Mt. MiddleRoach".
Thank-you, Bill and Gerry! You have helped to make many hikes possible for this gal.
=D>
"Don't get mad, get altitude."
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I like a few of his songs...I respect his advocacy...but I cannot agree with this proposal.

I am more for a Mount Elway or a Mount (Terrell) Davis.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer