Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

John Denver Peak

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

John Denver Peak

Postby mountainmanny » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:46 pm

"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon

Re: John Denver Peak

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Y-knot. Just don't call it "Deutschendorf Peak".

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Whoa! I was listening to his greatest hits just this morning on the way to work! I think this would be an awesome idea - he was a truly great performer and musician - what a spokesperson for nature!
A person's name in context of a mountain, though, could get some giggles in various contexts- i.e. when saying "I'm going to go do Longs today" or "I can't wait to climb Princeton" and dropping the "Peak" part as is often done, his name in context there could be kind of funny *giggle!* Probably better, though, then the alternative: "Mount..."

I'd vote for it!! Go John Denver!
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby Oman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Can you really make a mountain out of that much saccharine?

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Naming a peak for him, perhaps, but to name one of Sopris' sub-summits? I think that's a bit silly.

There are plenty of unnamed peaks out there and that would be more appropriate in my opinion than naming the sub-summit of such an iconic peak.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Doctor No » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

RosieTheSummiter wrote:A person's name in context of a mountain, though, could get some giggles in various contexts- i.e. when saying "I'm going to go do Longs today" or "I can't wait to climb Princeton" and dropping the "Peak" part as is often done, his name in context there could be kind of funny *giggle!* Probably better, though, then the alternative: "Mount..."

It's come to the point where whenever I have a rare PTO day, people assume that I'm going to go "mount a 14er". This stems from a coworker who had never heard of a 14er, and she assumed something else. :oops:

Postby JB99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:39 pm

I vote they name it Crestone...

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:02 pm

We already have a Denver Hill (12.3k) and Denver Lake here in the San Juans. Bonus points if you know where they are. Just add "John". SJ Ron

Postby ajkagy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:Naming a peak for him, perhaps, but to name one of Sopris' sub-summits? I think that's a bit silly.

There are plenty of unnamed peaks out there and that would be more appropriate in my opinion than naming the sub-summit of such an iconic peak.

+1...worst idea ever to name one of the sub summits when the mountain already has an established name. Yes, there are plenty of unnamed peaks out there that would love to have a name :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:18 pm

This would be a cool way of honoring John Denver.. Should be in the Elks somewhere and an unamed peak. I agree with Chicago Transplant that a subsummit of Sopris wouldn't be the best choice IMO.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 pm

JB99 wrote:I vote they name it Crestone...

I was thinking the same thing, but I think they should name on summit "John Denver", and the other (equal) one "Crestone", and the third summit "Serenity".
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Bean » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:27 pm

What's with all the morons wanting to rename mountains lately?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next