Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

indian peaks conditions?

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Re: indian peaks conditions?

Postby Steve Nicholls » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 am

I was up there on July 9. Made it just over 7 miles up Arapahoe Pass but got turned back by the creek crossing. It was running too high for my comfort level and I couldn't find a good spot to cross. The trail was a swamp, flooded completely out in lots of spots, muddy most everywhere else. I didn't see any other human footprints so I have may been one of the first people up there year. There was also quite a bit of tree fall that had to dealt with. After making it back down to Monarch Lake I decided to head up Cascade Creek. That trail is much drier and more traveled. Made it up into the Lone Eagle cirque but again got turned around at the switchbacks below Mirror Lake - about waist deep drifts and it was getting late in the day. There was still is a ton of snow higher up.

Postby Smokey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 pm

I climbed Mount Audubon and Paiute from the Brainard Lake area yesterday and the trails had very little snow until you got up to Mitchell Lake. Blue Lake was still mostly frozen and the snow feilds up there for this date are impressive.

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Little update:

Just spoke to the Ranger District office in Granby, the guy there said that a couple parties made it to within .5 miles of Lake Watanga before they turned back from snow. (Doesn't sound like it was deep at all, just more than a summer dayhiker was prepared to face in tennis shoes.) This would mean that the Roaring Fork would probably be relatively dry up until at least the turnoff for Watanga, probably higher.

--Derek
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Previous