Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Citadel

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

The Citadel

Postby PaliKona » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 am

I've been reviewing the two routes for this peak - from Herman Lake or from the valley south of the Citadel and Mt. Bethel. What route do people recommend? How difficult is the last climb up the gully (class 3)? Is there a better way up the summit pitch (ie. safer)?

Re: The Citadel

Postby awake » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:59 am

I haven't done Mt. Bethel route, but Herman Lake route is beautiful. I'd definitely recommend it.

The class 3 section is tricky, but definitely doable. There was some loose rock, but as long as you stay on the left side, there really wasn't much exposure. Bringing a helmet is a good idea.

Postby MikeyC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am

I took the Herman Gulch route last year. I didn't find the class three that difficult but there was a ton of loose rock in the gulley. My partner and I climbed one at a time to try to protect the other from rock fall. I didn't see a different route up the summit pitch except snoopy's backside chute. I found the rock on the traverse to Pettingell was much more solid. If you were going to climb that way you would probably want a rope and pro.

-Mike

Postby rijaca » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am

PaliKona wrote:I've been reviewing the two routes for this peak - from Herman Lake or from the valley south of the Citadel and Mt. Bethel. What route do people recommend? How difficult is the last climb up the gully (class 3)? Is there a better way up the summit pitch (ie. safer)?

The approach up Dry Gulch is a bit shorter than Herman Gulch, but not enough to be a difference. The route up the gully is the easiest. Loose rock is the biggest hazard.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby PaliKona » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Once off trail from Herman Lake, what is the terrain like? Not loose until the gully? Once up the gully, does the rock get better at the very top to the summit?