Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Post by ColoradoGuy »

sclarson wrote:My mom and I climbed it last year in August. Parked at the base of the resort, and walked the service road up and then hiked up the scree trail to the top. The resort will let you ride the lift down for free if you hike up, which my mom and I did at her choice :) Pretty easy hike up and down imo, and great views of the Elks/Bells/Castle/etc from the top.
Scott, thanks! I generally can't stand hiking on service roads or any kind of road that's for vehicles, but your experience is something to consider. We'll see.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Thanks for all the information. Yesterday (Saturday) I climbed Crested Butte via the road and a lot of "short cutting" via the ski & snowboard slopes.

My trip report: http://coloradoguy.com/crested-butte/hike.htm

This is definitely a worthwhile mountain! =D>
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
hamerhokie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hamerhokie »

ColoradoGuy wrote:Thanks for all the information. Yesterday (Saturday) I climbed Crested Butte via the road and a lot of "short cutting" via the ski & snowboard slopes.

I was there the exact same time that you were, and we were ***forbidden*** to summit Mt Crested Butte due to the snow. I guess you didn't use the summit trail?

EDITED TO ADD - just read your trip report. I guess their threats don't really apply to someone who isn't using the local resort facilities.
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

hamerhokie wrote:
ColoradoGuy wrote:Thanks for all the information. Yesterday (Saturday) I climbed Crested Butte via the road and a lot of "short cutting" via the ski & snowboard slopes.

I was there the exact same time that you were, and we were ***forbidden*** to summit Mt Crested Butte due to the snow. I guess you didn't use the summit trail?

EDITED TO ADD - just read your trip report. I guess their threats don't really apply to someone who isn't using the local resort facilities.
I'm so sorry you didn't make it! I think they just scare people away because they're afraid of liability issues. Next time, just go. You can't miss finding the road. :)