Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Questions about Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain...

After reading http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/hiking-info#crested, it appears the "standard route" is to take the ski lift 80% up the mountain. Then it's followed by a 0.5 mile trail with a 600 ft. gain. Anyone ever done this?

Questions:
-Do I have to ride the ski lift to get up there?
-Can I drive partially up the road? And hike on the road? (And will my 2WD make it?)
-Any attractive alternative routes?

I get the sense my climb will be more like a touristy, Disneyland experience, but I do want to summit this mountain! Thanks friends. :D

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Post by highpilgrim »

ColoradoGuy wrote: it appears the "standard route" is to take the ski lift 80% up the mountain
Why not just climb it? What makes the lift part of the route?
Last edited by highpilgrim on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

There's some good info on SP about using the service road to walk up:

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-crested-butte/549925
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

if i were you, i would park at the base of the ski area and take one of the trails from there. riding the lift up 80% of the way was meant for tourists or people that are generally out of shape, but want to get to the top.

http://www.skicb.com/cbmr/SiteAssets/fi ... ailmap.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the summer trail map, enjoy :)
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

DanR wrote:There's some good info on SP about using the service road to walk up:

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-crested-butte/549925
Ahhh. Thanks for the link! :)
ajkagy wrote:if i were you, i would park at the base of the ski area and take one of the trails from there.
I'm with you, but ... there is no trail! There's merely a road - a long one that winds it's way back and forth. I'm no fan of that, but I guess that's the route I'll take. I may drive up the road a bit to shorten it, and that's where I was coming from with my original post. This reminds me of Mt. Antero's lame "standard route."

Thanks again for the input though. Happy trails! :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

ColoradoGuy wrote:I'm with you, but ... there is no trail!
Hike up the ski trails. Pick the ones that you like the steepness of and just go up. No need for the road.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

You can do better than the lift or the road if that isn't what you're into. One option is to climb the E slopes- start from Brush Creek. If you find an abandoned trail/road that leads from Upper Upper towards the summit, so much the better. There is no reason to take the road either- hike up under a lift and try to find some $ and other lost goodies. You can park at the top of Prospect rd and then hike under the Paradise lift from there. Then there's always "guides ridge". http://www.crestedbutteguides.com/page.cfm?pageid=18932

ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Good discussion. Looks like I'll be up there for a day on July 4 weekend.

I'll figure out a respectable way to get up there. :)
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

gb wrote:You can do better than the lift or the road if that isn't what you're into. One option is to climb the E slopes- start from Brush Creek. If you find an abandoned trail/road that leads from Upper Upper towards the summit, so much the better. There is no reason to take the road either- hike up under a lift and try to find some $ and other lost goodies. You can park at the top of Prospect rd and then hike under the Paradise lift from there. Then there's always "guides ridge". http://www.crestedbutteguides.com/page.cfm?pageid=18932

Frank, is the guide ridge a class 4/low class 5 climb? I'm pretty new in town and haven't gotten out to explore much of the climbing nearby yet.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

highpilgrim wrote:Why not just climb it? What makes the lift part of the route?
I've done the non-technical hike couple times all the way from the base. Its just not that interesting until you reach treeline.
Its more interesting to hike north to one of the major Elk passes like East Maroon Pass.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

ajkagy wrote: Frank, is the guide ridge a class 4/low class 5 climb? I'm pretty new in town and haven't gotten out to explore much of the climbing nearby yet.
I haven't done it personally, but yeah, that's my impression. It's definitely been done without rope. Pretty sure there's a couple of bolts along the way as well. Welcome to town.
sclarson
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sclarson »

My mom and I climbed it last year in August. Parked at the base of the resort, and walked the service road up and then hiked up the scree trail to the top. The resort will let you ride the lift down for free if you hike up, which my mom and I did at her choice :) Pretty easy hike up and down imo, and great views of the Elks/Bells/Castle/etc from the top.

Hope that helps!

--Scott
"Trails?! What trails? We don't need no trails where we're goin. Set a bearing and start hiking!" -Rayado