Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Re: Crested Butte (12,162'), the mountain

Postby ColoradoGuy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 pm

sclarson wrote:My mom and I climbed it last year in August. Parked at the base of the resort, and walked the service road up and then hiked up the scree trail to the top. The resort will let you ride the lift down for free if you hike up, which my mom and I did at her choice :) Pretty easy hike up and down imo, and great views of the Elks/Bells/Castle/etc from the top.

Scott, thanks! I generally can't stand hiking on service roads or any kind of road that's for vehicles, but your experience is something to consider. We'll see.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the information. Yesterday (Saturday) I climbed Crested Butte via the road and a lot of "short cutting" via the ski & snowboard slopes.

My trip report: http://coloradoguy.com/crested-butte/hike.htm

This is definitely a worthwhile mountain! =D>
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby hamerhokie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:25 pm

ColoradoGuy wrote:Thanks for all the information. Yesterday (Saturday) I climbed Crested Butte via the road and a lot of "short cutting" via the ski & snowboard slopes.

I was there the exact same time that you were, and we were ***forbidden*** to summit Mt Crested Butte due to the snow. I guess you didn't use the summit trail?

EDITED TO ADD - just read your trip report. I guess their threats don't really apply to someone who isn't using the local resort facilities.

Postby ColoradoGuy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:34 pm

hamerhokie wrote:
ColoradoGuy wrote:Thanks for all the information. Yesterday (Saturday) I climbed Crested Butte via the road and a lot of "short cutting" via the ski & snowboard slopes.

I was there the exact same time that you were, and we were ***forbidden*** to summit Mt Crested Butte due to the snow. I guess you didn't use the summit trail?

EDITED TO ADD - just read your trip report. I guess their threats don't really apply to someone who isn't using the local resort facilities.

I'm so sorry you didn't make it! I think they just scare people away because they're afraid of liability issues. Next time, just go. You can't miss finding the road. :)

Previous