Indian Peaks/ 4th of July Trailhead

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LTbear
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Indian Peaks/ 4th of July Trailhead

Post by LTbear »

Has anyone been out to the 4th of July trailhead recently? How's the road? Passable in a car or too soggy?
JayG
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Indian Peaks/ 4th of July Trailhead

Post by JayG »

Talked to the ranger station yesterday and the road is open the whole way up but he mentioned that it turns into a small river once it warms up each day...saying you would want to be comfortable driving through a foot of water in whatever car you choose.
paulie
Trip Reports (0)

Post by paulie »

Road is passable, but every dip in the road is a small pond in the afternoon. The deepest water I drove through (first week of June) was maybe 6 inches, but I bet it's getting wetter as the snow melts.
Attachments
plowed_fourth_of_july_road_by_pauliesworld-d3i259d.jpg
plowed_fourth_of_july_road_by_pauliesworld-d3i259d.jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 798 times
LTbear
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LTbear »

Thanks for the update. That heavy snow this year is making things difficult.
thatnissanguy
14ers: 51  6  8 
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thatnissanguy »

Last weekend we made it up in a stock Toyota Rav4, driven TIMIDLY. The deepest water we crossed was 3-4 inches in the afternoon.
“Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer.” - John Muir
Eschuette
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Eschuette »

I was up there this afternoon. The road wasn't too bad if you're careful and to illustrate that point-there was a stock honda civic in the parking lot. I didn't see anything hanging below it so I assume it made it ok. Hope that helps
Eric

"In short, there is a kind of supernatural beauty in these mountainous prospects which charms both the senses and the minds into a forgetfulness of oneself and of everything in the world" - Rousseau

Instagram Id: ericschuettephotography
https://www.facebook.com/EricSchuettephotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;