Another climber dies in RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Another climber dies in RMNP

Post by wildlobo71 »

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx? ... &catid=339

I just saw this on the news. Prayers my friends.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Another climber dies in RMNP

Post by Doctor No »

RIP. :(

Not a good year for climbers.
shadez
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by shadez »

RIP - My prayers and sincerest condolences to his family and friends

Stay safe out there
"Dream as if you'll live forever - Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

Rest in Peace, my thoughts go out to his family and his partners that were on the glacier as well as the rangers who went out to help. I cant imagine being stranded like that unable to help at all after my partner fell. :(
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

My thoughts and prayers go out for the family and friends. I'm very sorry for your loss.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

RIP
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Once again lifting up prayers to those left behind. Even though at this time we don't know who is involved, we know it's a fellow climber. RIP. +1 on Trevor's thoughts.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
matthewbe
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matthewbe »

Deepest sympathies! Rough year indeed, everyone be safe out there!
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Am very sorry to hear of another loss to the hiking and climbing community. May his friends and family find comfort in the midst of this tragedy. Prayers to him and them from this end.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

I saw this on the news this morning too. They said that James had the ropes with him too and his friends were stranded and had to be rescued. Must have been a terrible ordeal for everyone. I am sorry to hear of this tragedy and my thought go out to his family and friends.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

:cry: So sad. My prayers go out to the family and friends.

The situation of the stranded climbers brings to mind a somber story. Many years ago, I worked for a company and they had an employee whose father, Blake Hiester, had been a good technical climber. When my co-worker and his brother were younger, their father (Blake) was leading them up the east face of Long's Peak (this was in 1966). Blake, the father, was leading and had stopped and had the two sons tie in while he went on ahead to scope out the route. He slipped on the notch chimney route and fell to his death in front of his sons (they were subsequently rescued from the east face).
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to James’s family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert