Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake Park (LCW) Water

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Lake Park (LCW) Water

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Hello,

I know there are some other Lost Creek Wilderness junkies out there, so maybe someone has been in Lake Park recently. I have only been there in the spring, and there was plenty of water. However, I have heard rumors that sometimes in late fall the water in the area goes away?! Planning to camp there next weekend, and don't feel like dropping towards Hankins Pass just to get water...

Thanks

--Derek

Re: Lake Park (LCW) Water

Postby CO Native » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:41 pm

With how dry it's been lately finding water in Lake Park will be tough. I certainly wouldn't count on it. We did get a little rain today, but not much and it's been a long dry spell.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Well. Thats no good.

But then again, maybe I can try camping/exploring a NEW spot in the LCW....hmm...

--Derek

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:12 pm

There may be some nice convenient fresh snow to melt in a few shaded north-facing rocky faces; I've used this for water up there before around this time of year. Just a thought. We're actually heading up there this weekend as well, but will be camping near Lost Creek or some tributary thereof.

Don't get me wrong, Lake Park is one of my favorite areas to hang/camp/climb from, but yeah, if there's no snow that would mean lugging a lot of water.

If you've never climbed point 11,180 you might consider checking that one out; the "normal" route starts along Lost Creek, a reliable source of water.

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 pm

climbing_rob wrote:We're actually heading up there this weekend as well, but will be camping near Lost Creek or some tributary thereof.

Looks like we will as well, aiming for someplace along Indian Creek south of the Lost Park TH. (Portion of the Brookside/McCurdy Trail) I'm thinking that creek is large enough to still have plenty of water. Also, there are plenty of random 11ers in the area to keep me busy. :D Gotta love the Tarryalls.....

Thanks!

--Derek