Hike to skinny: lake near Steamboat

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainment
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Hike to skinny: lake near Steamboat

Post by mountainment »

I've seen posts that have one or 2 but not all 3 of these elements: Steamboat area, hike to lake for a swim, remote (read: few people).

I was to take my girl to Steamboat this upcoming weekend to solo-tube float the Yampa, but I've been told the water level is so low I'll be draggin' derrière most the river (is this true?).
So I'm thinking plan B, since my plan A was so crap..."sure, let's wait till August...no problem!" -- Idiot =D>

Plan B would involve:
Day hike (~8-10 mi RT) to alpine lake that isn't super popular, so we can dip to nip; we're hoping there's some grass near the lake to beach out. I know I know...let me dream.

I've read up on Gilpin/Gold lake loop, but that seems way too far when I'm driving from Boulder Fri afternoon for Fri & Sat nights. Nearly 5 hour trip on Friday afternoon isn't ideal.

I've also looked into Hooper and Keener Lake, but not sure if this isn't storming with people, or if it's as stunning as I've heard Gilpin & Gold are.

Lost Lakes by Devil's Causeway is way too far for day trip and the bitty ponds near Stillwater Res. will be loaded with people.

Bonus points for recs on camping sites and eateries with character. This will be my first time in this area. No room at Strawberry Hot Springs; though that sounds like a must on any return.

Any thoughts?