Cameron Cone

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sdizzle
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Cameron Cone

Post by sdizzle »

I was wondering if anyone has done this recently. If so, how are the conditions? Would you go with snowshoes or just Yak Trax? I think the Barr trail route w/ turnoff is the only accessible way without being on private property, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Cameron Cone

Post by Jim Davies »

You can also climb to the Mt Garfield-Mt Arthur saddle from Jones Park, up to the summit of Arthur, then follow the ridge over the Cameron's Cone. I've done this a few times to Arthur but not the rest of the way. The path up the drainage to the saddle is a bushwack with some scree sidehilling, but not too bad. Beyond that, I recall the CMC guide called it "an uninteresting two miles" or something like that. The round-trip from the Gold Camp/High Drive 4-way would be about 12 miles, I'd guess.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Chipper
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chipper »

A bunch of snow has accummulated in Dark Canyon and other low, shady spots. Snowshoes useful there and most of the way up the Cone, except the last 200-300 feet to the summit (boulders). The only value I would see in Yak Trax is for a packed-down Barr Trail - otherwise, they won't help you too much up the Cone. Microspikes would help, and definitely gaiters.
George Kaplan
14ers: 33  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by George Kaplan »

I tried going up the Ingelmann Trail route a few weeks ago and it was more icy than snowy. Very slick chutes across the slope that you have to make your way across. I didn't have any traction devices other than snowshoes so I had to turn back. I will be bringing microspikes the next time I make a go of it!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

sdizzle wrote:I think the Barr trail route w/ turnoff is the only accessible way without being on private property, so correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. That will take you right through Colorado Springs Utilities property (private) and across the cog railway tracks (private) and deposit you in Dark Canyon (parts of which I believe are private). Not that people don't go that way. I believe most "legal" routes to that peak are even longer, more arduous, and include more off-trail mileage than the Barr Trail one, and I can't imagine doing them right now with all the snow up there, combined with deadfall and bushwacking. The other alternative is finding someone who lives in Crystal Park, a gated community in Manitou Springs, who might allow you access from the east side. It's a shorter hike, and you start a lot higher, but you'll get the summit.
fox_inthesnow
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (7)

Post by fox_inthesnow »

I haven't done Cam yet but I'm thinking of going the route Jim Davies suggested from the Arthur and Garfield saddle. I was up at this saddle last summer and it definitely looked good. I'd imagine there would be less deep snow to contend with as well as much of the route is south-facing
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Jones Park route also goes through Utilities property, but it's open to the public. If you go that way you can also bag Garfield and Arthur, both worthwhile destinations. Look for the old iron-pipe register on Garfield; it's a classic.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

The Jones Park route via the Garfield/Arthur saddle is doable, but a long approach. In summer there is a cairned trail from the old cabin ruins off of the Cap'n Jacks/Jones Park Trail almost all the way to the Garfield/Arthur saddle. The bushwhack from there would follow the ridge to Cameron; I would expect that ridge is under a couple feet of snow. I attempted the Cone a couple weeks ago via Englemann/Gog/Magog Rocks route and had to turn around about 400' below the summit due to time constraints. The route/trail was in fairly good condition (minimal snow) until above Magog Rock; after that plenty of snow and routefinding was encountered. Have fun, and grab a Pikes Peak Atlas if you don't already have one.