Chair Mountain Info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Chair Mountain Info

Post by cheeseburglar »

I don't know how these things resurface, and how I get talked into them.
But I'm looking into doing this climb on Sunday, probably starting on a climbers trail near Bogan Flats. Does anyone have any information they can add to what's been said?
Thanks!
Anybody interested?
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

cheeseburglar wrote:I don't know how these things resurface, and how I get talked into them.
But I'm looking into doing this climb on Sunday, probably starting on a climbers trail near Bogan Flats. Does anyone have any information they can add to what's been said?
Thanks!
Anybody interested?
I can't believe you picked this weekend to try this! Any other time, I'd be there in a second. If you go, I'd greatly appreciate some information.
cheeseburglar
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Once again I am scheming to climb Chair Mountain.
Might start early Sunday morning if anyone is interested.
iceman
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

What kind of conditions are you expecting up there? Weather is calling for rain and snow in Carbondale tonight through Sunday. Snowshoes, crampons, skis :shock: ? I still want to get up there, but I'm not sure this weekends weather would work for a climber at my level.
cheeseburglar
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Iceman,
I've got a friend who is going to Marble and is supposed to take a look up there and call me.
I expect it will be bad to miserable...
Probably not enough snow to take skis. Maybe not enough to bother with snowshoes. Definately crampons and ice axe and I think we'll have a rope and a little bit of rock gear. The ridge is supposed to be Class 3 or 4 but with snow it might be bad.
We might change plans. And if we go we may not see the summit!
But it should be fun, funny or both.

Edit- the route we are considering starts at Bogan Flats and is close to 5,000 vertical. We might need a machete. I think we can completely avoid private property. But there might be some serious bushwhacking!
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re:

Post by OBC13 »

Kane wrote:If your commited to climbing it from down there, I think the best way is to get permission from the Genter Mine. There's a trail that begins on their property that ascends up the steep slope that leads to Chair Basin. Otherwise your looking at an evil :twisted: class 5 bushwhack for 2,000-ft.
When I was over there staying at a place in that area, the owners said that they thought there was a trail that started near the mine. It would presumably take you west from there and provide an easier access to Chair Basin than via the lower portion of Chair Creek, which looks pretty steep.
OBC13
cheeseburglar
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

OBC13 wrote:
Kane wrote:If your commited to climbing it from down there, I think the best way is to get permission from the Genter Mine. There's a trail that begins on their property that ascends up the steep slope that leads to Chair Basin. Otherwise your looking at an evil :twisted: class 5 bushwhack for 2,000-ft.
When I was over there staying at a place in that area, the owners said that they thought there was a trail that started near the mine. It would presumably take you west from there and provide an easier access to Chair Basin than via the lower portion of Chair Creek, which looks pretty steep.
Thanks! I need to look into that. Brittete told me there is a trail and she has used it to access backcountry skiing up in the Chair Basin. The key might be to find the trail and get permission.
iceman
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

Good luck. Would love to see a trip report on this one.
timd
Trip Reports (1)

Post by timd »

Last I heard there is no public access to Chair mountain. That mountain is surrounded on all sides by private land. i would take previous advice and ask land owners for permission. Keep us posted on your progress as I have wanted that mountain for a long time.
cheeseburglar
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Here is a legal way to get up Chair Mt, join the CMC and sign up in a hurry, we don't have enough people for the trip right now
:(
http://www.cmc.org/trip/TripScheduleVie ... earch.aspx
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
iceman
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

I'd love to join up and go along, but my club member dues budget has been exceeded and I am not allowed to join any more clubs. :?